Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Elevation changes

rated by 0 users
Sun, May 6 2012 7:28 AM (7 replies)
  • easternguy
    301 Posts
    Sat, May 5 2012 8:43 PM

Is there a formula to accurately judge elevation change? I've been taking educated guesses up until now...

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Sat, May 5 2012 8:50 PM

Educated guesses are the way to go. If something works then write it down, if it doesn't then try something else.

• pjctas0822
    4,591 Posts
    Sat, May 5 2012 9:13 PM

practice makes perfect. I am usually guessing as well but I find the more you play the easier it becomes to judge how your ball will react when shooting to an elevated green especially when your 170 yds out or more. I usually try to hit it short and let it roll up to cup but if I make a par on the hole Im happy :) .

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Sat, May 5 2012 10:10 PM

Add or subtract a yard for every three feet uphill or downhill the shot is. 

• easternguy
    301 Posts
    Sat, May 5 2012 10:36 PM

Thanks, I'll give it a try...

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Sun, May 6 2012 1:47 AM

Any formula will have to be based on some shot trajectory. Higher shooting clubs will need less thought about it. Imagine how the ballistic curves look like when the target ground moves up or down.

With the Starters many pins weren't accessible, elevated greens needed a lot of extra length, one or even two clubs.

Today, with the new G20s, I usually don't add much or even no length but I won't let it one foot short and I know that backspin shortens the shots.

Therefore, you are back to educated guesses...

• vFiReStOrMv
    51 Posts
    Sun, May 6 2012 5:04 AM

I use the G20's High trajectory and I use 1 yard for every 2 ft up and 1 yard for every 3 ft down. Some holes don't apply though. BP hole #8 for example is about 28ft down and I only take off about 4 yards. Also hole #4 at Kiawha says 2 ft up from most approach shots. I believe this is wrong and always take about 5 extra yards to get over the bunks and onto the green. So it just takes taking notes on your shots.

• Hewsey
    1,957 Posts
    Sun, May 6 2012 7:28 AM

L D is correct although I find downhill, the rule sometimes does not seem to apply. What usually works when up 18' add 6 yards  down 18'  subtract 3' not sure why You will need to experiment a bit Good luck  Hope that helps 

RSS