Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Hello From Maryland

rated by 0 users
Wed, Mar 31 2010 3:18 PM (7 replies)
  • mscott1012
    7 Posts
    Wed, Mar 31 2010 10:26 AM
    Good Afternoon All, My name is Matt and I live in Baltimore Maryland with my wife and almost two year old daughter. I love the game of golf and I am really looking forward to playing with as many of you as possible. This looks like a fantastic game. I would like to upgrade my clubs and would appreciate any suggestions you might have to guide me. Where do I start? Putter driver? Friend me if you like I try to play in the evenings. Have a great day,
  • Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Wed, Mar 31 2010 11:00 AM

Hey Matt... welcome to the fun.

Just a quick note... Because this game has a rather steep learning curve, it would probably be better to NOT rush into upgrades.  The better course of action, or so I'm told, is to play with the free set for awhile until you get a feel for both the game and the clubset.  Only then will you know which you would prefer.

Club sets have many variables, feel, accuracy, meter speeds, etc.  It wouldn't be prudent for you to rush to the fastest meter speed clubs if you're having trouble finding the 'dinger'.  Some have more forgiveness at the cost of speed or distance, etc etc etc.

Only you will know what is right for you.

When and if you are ready for upgrades, start with the Driver and the Putter, imho.

.... and don't be in a hurry to get to Master.  Enjoy the ride.

Peace.

• ProfessorJoe
    325 Posts
    Wed, Mar 31 2010 12:07 PM

Hello Matt!  I've been a member of WGT for over a year now, but have only picked it up again recently and this is my first forray into the forums.  I was pleasantly surprised with the addition of the other golf courses and the new equipment.  I got club envy and quickly paid $20 to upgrade to the Burner complete set. 

Snaike, where were you when I needed you?!  lol  I should have waited as Snaike suggested because the new clubs I bought have very fast swing speeds and its kinda hard to get used to it.  Not sure it was worth it for the few extra yards distance, however the better control of spin is nice to have.  Welcome aboard!

Joe

• mscott1012
    7 Posts
    Wed, Mar 31 2010 12:18 PM
    Thanks guys for the great responses. I have one other question if you don't mind. Is there a reason why this game is still in Beta status. Are they always tweeking and improving or is there a fear this game will be closed up soon. I sure hope not. Thanks,
  • ghettocop1
    259 Posts
    Wed, Mar 31 2010 12:34 PM

Welcome and have fun.

• NormH3
    214 Posts
    Wed, Mar 31 2010 1:41 PM

Welcome from a fellow Baltimoron. (born there..live in Delaware)

Don't worry about the game going away soon. If you read through the news and announcements you'll see that many partnerships are being made by WGT. There are still bugs to be ironed out and that would be one reason for why it's still in Beta.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Wed, Mar 31 2010 2:09 PM

ProfessorJoe:
    Snaike, where were you when I needed you?!  lol 
    I've been here on the forums, Joe... (my god, have you seen this guys POST count?!!?  He ~has~ no life!!!)   .... lol

mscott1012:
    Is there a reason why this game is still in Beta status

Yes, Matt, they are still tweaking and whatnot to get it right.  Somewhere in fhe forums here (maybe it was in the news) was a presser about WGT's success in another round of VC funding... They aren't going away anytime soon.

In the news, as well, is an announcement of a WGT - USGA partnership.

So, all in all, let's play some golf, huh? 

Peace.

• PorkyWalrus
    607 Posts
    Wed, Mar 31 2010 3:18 PM

Yup and welcome. I am in Michigan, the Eastern time zone like you, ready to play whenever.

Greg.

RSS