Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Legends > Course > equipment

rated by 0 users
Fri, May 11 2012 12:51 PM (5 replies)
  • Tonto0206
    460 Posts
    Fri, May 11 2012 3:36 AM

OK lets find out what we use for different courses.

Basically do we take 4 wedges and drop the hybrid or not, that is the question.

I am assuming R11's and Cleveland wedges

Here is my humble opinion....

OLYMPIC : -  a lot of 40-50 rough so drop the hybrid and just punch everything.

ST ANDREWS : - easy to chip 'n putt take 4 wedges for variety of shot.

ROYAL ST GEORGES ; - easy to miss fairway here, drop one wedge, use hybrid

CONGRESSIONAL :- this course is all about good driving, take 4 wedges

BETHPAGE :- another driving course - 4 wedges

KIAWAH :- I hate the place, should be scrapped - NO COMMENT

DEATHMONT :- YOU definitely getting in the sh1te here, u need 4 wedges 'n 3 putters

WHISTLER : - too easy good drives and you can birdie/ eagle every hole - 4 wedges

Please feel free to tell me how wrong I am.

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Fri, May 11 2012 4:20 AM

Same clubs on every course for me. No hybrid.

• saltiresfan
    2,266 Posts
    Fri, May 11 2012 4:32 AM

I always use the hybrid to get out of 2CR when I mis-drive. I've recently dropped the fairway wood and have driver, hybrid and 3 wedges.

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Fri, May 11 2012 4:46 AM

It's not just the course, but also the conditions and the tees.

In my case, normally I'm playing R11 woods (Driver and 3W), Burner irons and Cleveland wedges (60/80/100). (The R11 hybrid is a great club, but the distance (225) is too close to the Burner 3 iron (220).)

But, for example, if I'm playing Oakmont from the back tees, I know my chances of reaching the par 5s in 2 is diddly. So if I give up the 3W and replace it with the 115 wedge, I nicely fill the gap between the 100 Cleveland wedge and the 125 Burner PW. I'm hitting my 2nd shot into the par 5s with a 3 iron, but still hitting my 3rd shot with some kind of wedge. No big deal. Meanwhile, I have another Cleveland wedge in my bag that will probably come in handy at a crucial distance.

Conversely, if I am playing the same course from the shorter tees, I have a good chance of hitting the par 5s in 2 with my 3W, so it is worthwhile to go back to the setup with the 3W instead of the extra 115 wedge.

• saltiresfan
    2,266 Posts
    Fri, May 11 2012 4:51 AM

Am I missing something for hitting out of the rough?

I don't see how you can get as much distance and accuracy with anything other than a hybrid.

• ChipNSink
    427 Posts
    Fri, May 11 2012 12:51 PM

I scrapped my hybrid long ago. Always carry 4 wedges regardless of course.

Found that any hybrid isn't quite as accurate as I would want them to be. And more often their stated distance is too close to any of my longer irons. So I rely on punch shots as well.
    Which works great for me - including from 2nd CR.

Early on I found myself in rough a lot. And couldn't get the hybrid to work for me any better than a punch shot with a long iron.

Now I'm not legend, but still - that's the content of my bag. G20-driver, wood and irons. 3 clevelands (60, 80, 100) and my trusted Rossa.

RSS