Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Help with aiming the approach shot

rated by 0 users
Wed, May 16 2012 8:14 AM (5 replies)
  • Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Wed, May 16 2012 6:24 AM

Could use some pointers on aiming the approach shot. Seems all my stand byes are not working very well. Use to be able to put the pointer on one of the distance makers ( that  was in reason for the amount of wind that was blowing ) but that is not working anymore. Use to be able to move the pointer and watch the green triangle in the small screen at the bottom right corner,  and that is not working anymore.

I think if I try to do the offset ding method I will lose yardage on the shot, and I will have to go and refigure all that again, and I really don't want to do that.

Thanks

Gary

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Wed, May 16 2012 6:32 AM

Hey Gary,

How ya been?   I have no help here but will be following this thread since I too have found that my old methods of aiming for wind seem to have stopped working.

Just know that you aren't the only one. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, May 16 2012 6:56 AM

Woodoworkery:
    Use to be able to put the pointer on one of the distance makers ( that  was in reason for the amount of wind that was blowing ) but that is not working anymore. Use to be able to move the pointer and watch the green triangle in the small screen at the bottom right corner,  and that is not working anymore.

This doesn't make sense. Something is definitely wrong with the game-the pointer thing-and you're trying to work around it? You might try fixing that first because nothing has changed there for me. Start by clearing browser and Flash caches.

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Wed, May 16 2012 7:29 AM

YankeeJim:

Woodoworkery:
    Use to be able to put the pointer on one of the distance makers ( that  was in reason for the amount of wind that was blowing ) but that is not working anymore. Use to be able to move the pointer and watch the green triangle in the small screen at the bottom right corner,  and that is not working anymore.

This doesn't make sense. Something is definitely wrong with the game-the pointer thing-and you're trying to work around it? You might try fixing that first because nothing has changed there for me. Start by clearing browser and Flash caches.

JIm I think your misunderstanding me, the triangle in the small course view in the bottom right hand corner. It has to be a strong wind for the ball to go outside that triangle. so lets say you have a 15 MPH wind and it is going Horizontal , 9:00 from R to L . The ball should land near the top left hand corner of the triangle, so you  move the pointer so that the top left hand corner of the triangle is in relationship with the flag stick (in the small screen) well I am doing that and the ball is landing like 12 yards on the other side of the flag. So is the wind gauge lying. I have cleared my caches, defragged my system, I am stumped. I don't expect the ball to go in the hole, but should get at least on the right side of the flag, and not on the opposite side. 

• notonthis
    893 Posts
    Wed, May 16 2012 7:38 AM

Wow same things has been happening to me luckily i've been able to make a few putts. Just glad to know its just not me going through this i thought all the vodka was making me imagine these things.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, May 16 2012 8:14 AM

I think I see what you're trying to say, Gary. I don't try to be that exact with the landing based on that triangle, there's too many variables. I find it easier to "feel" that wind and know what it's going to do with the shot-knock it down, carry it, etc. This is where you might try making smart ding misses into the wind. Nothing major to steer that shot, just a pixel or 3. Dinged shots, IMO, introduce more of the bad deviation probability side of a shot than does missing in your favor.  Maybe aim 1/2 of what you think and miss the rest. The R11s seem to handle this well.

Change something that you're doing. Anything, just to get off stagnant. You work so hard at this game you make ME tired. LOL. 

RSS