Forums

Help › Forums

Re: The lie of the ball

rated by 0 users
Fri, May 18 2012 9:34 AM (9 replies)
  • MarkOttaway
    9 Posts
    Fri, May 18 2012 2:38 AM

Is there a direct correlation between the lie of the ball and the amount of extra club you need? i.e. 2-5% lie = half a club extra, 34-40% lie - one club extra etc.?

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Fri, May 18 2012 2:49 AM

MarkOttaway:

Is there a direct correlation between the lie of the ball and the amount of extra club you need? i.e. 2-5% lie = half a club extra, 34-40% lie - one club extra etc.?

yes and no :)

there are few other variables, such as wind, how far to go, the club you hit, where is the pin (front, back) is it uphill/etc

so, to answer your question, yes, but with many caveats:)

-wgticon

• MarkOttaway
    9 Posts
    Fri, May 18 2012 2:53 AM

Understood but if we levelled things out, assumed no wind, hills, distance to go etc. is there a 'rule of thumb'?

• xMarxdspot
    21 Posts
    Fri, May 18 2012 4:04 AM

Ok, understood, bur is it a program glitch that sometimes will call the fringe. the rough and how is the detph of  the hazard lie determined also. 

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Fri, May 18 2012 7:24 AM

Some thoughts on such situation:

The distance will be shortened but not in the proportion of the %%, rather less.

Punch shots suffer less than full shots.

From 40 % up, take a short club and hack out to the fairway.

From 70 %, pray or swear ad libitum.

Mulch is worse than weed is worse than rough.

• MarkOttaway
    9 Posts
    Fri, May 18 2012 7:31 AM

Many thanks - this helps.

• DannyPhan
    1,013 Posts
    Fri, May 18 2012 8:37 AM

as others have mentioned, Yes and No

the % you see is how much of the ball is "Hidden" by the sand, rough, mulch, fescue, etc....

every course is different you just have to play them and learn.

for instance 50% rough at Olympic is like glue but 40-50% rough at Kiawah is playable by increasing the club.

Play and Learn.

Danny

• MarkOttaway
    9 Posts
    Fri, May 18 2012 8:47 AM

Thanks Danny, I guess that's not what I wanted to hear but hey! - facts are facts. Gives me an excuse to play this excellent game more though :-)

• nyctc7
    160 Posts
    Fri, May 18 2012 9:21 AM

When it comes to lie, I've learned that there is a big difference between a chip shot and a pitch shot. A chip shot will be affected in roughly the same manner as a full shot, perhaps a little less so  because you're closer to the hole, but a pitch shot is a different story completely. From the Chip and Pitch tips thread:

Here are a few rules to follow for the pitch shot:

• 1) From the fairway subtract 4 to 5 yards
    • 2) From 30/40 rough add 0 yard
    • 3) From 40/50 rough add 2 yards
    • 4) from 10/20 sand subtract 1 yards

Of course you still have to account for the slope and speed of the green, and the above applies to starter clubs with full backspin. Other clubs will vary.

Chipping from 40/50 rough is a bad idea unless you are very close to the green.

• MarkOttaway
    9 Posts
    Fri, May 18 2012 9:34 AM

Wow! thanks for this, I would never have worked that out for myself :-)

RSS