Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Hitting out of the rough?

rated by 0 users
Tue, May 22 2012 9:09 PM (5 replies)
  • edged
    175 Posts
    Sun, May 20 2012 7:18 PM

When I land in the 40% rough off the green I cannot advance out of it. I tried Chipping, Pitching, Flop Shot and Full Swing allowing for the 40% but the ball advanced 0? What am I missing?

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Sun, May 20 2012 9:59 PM

hi

explained here :)

-wgticon

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Mon, May 21 2012 2:23 AM

edged:

When I land in the 40% rough off the green I cannot advance out of it. I tried Chipping, Pitching, Flop Shot and Full Swing allowing for the 40% but the ball advanced 0? What am I missing?

Where have you been - can you describe the spot (course, green, which side)?

A punch with a short club (up to PW) is the strongest shot from any rough or weeds or sand, but a pitch or full shot should work, too, dependent on the circumstances. Be sure to add power to compensate for the deeper lie of the ball.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, May 21 2012 5:38 AM

edged:
    I tried Chipping, Pitching, Flop Shot and Full Swing

That link Icon put up is everything you wanted to know about short games and is worth reading. In a nutshell, you have decent wedges and it sounds like you're cutting your swing down too much. You shouldn't be hitting them less than about 70% from rough.

• bittydog
    623 Posts
    Mon, May 21 2012 5:50 AM

alosso:

edged:

Where have you been - can you describe the spot (course, green, which side)?

A punch with a short club (up to PW) is the strongest shot from any rough or weeds or sand, but a pitch or full shot should work, too, dependent on the circumstances. Be sure to add power to compensate for the deeper lie of the ball.

Try adding full back spin to get the club under the ball and help lift it clear of the deep stuff.

• edged
    175 Posts
    Tue, May 22 2012 9:09 PM

Great help, problem solved! Thanks!!

RSS