Forums

Help › Forums

Re: lowering average

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jun 14 2012 2:03 AM (9 replies)
  • steviejar
    148 Posts
    Wed, Jun 13 2012 1:03 AM

Hi, everyone could someone confirm this for me, playing 9 holes on a par 36 i score 4 under! drop .5 from my average.. play 9 holes par 35@ 3 under drop .5 is this correct? can you tell me best way to drop average? apart from the obvious, play better: thanks for replies... stevie.....  

• lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Wed, Jun 13 2012 2:58 AM

Re:  Average drop.  Of course you must play well, but what is good enough?  My personal experience as a Tour Pro I needed a minimum of a -2, to drop average on a 9 hole game,  As Master (above 65.00) it was -3, under 65.00 it is -4. I just now played a -7, on  St Andrews, front 9, my average dropped from 64.05 to 63.85.  I also suspect that it makes a differance as to which course, and possiably if you are putting out of tier green speed.  All of the possable factors envolved in determining your average reduction  may be more information than we might want to know, lol.  I just keeping trying to do my best and hope it is good enough.  My nickle.

• Oldbayrunner
    1,774 Posts
    Wed, Jun 13 2012 5:19 AM

I am not quite sure on how it really works but when I was trying to make TM I know how it dropped for me. Currently you are at 64.25 average, on a 9 hole par 72 course -4 for 9 holes  equates to a score of 64. Subsequently on a par 70 course -3 equals the same yield of 64 and has the same effect of yielding .5 and will continue to drop your average until it reaches 64 even. After that -4 will have no effect in your average.  It gets tougher as you go because each time you play, for your average to drop you need to score under your current average at that time. So the lower your average gets the lower you have to score to improve it. How much lower you have to score per round depends on if you are playing a par 70 or 72 course.  Of course, the more lower you score per round under your average the higher the drop in average percentage points. For TP to Master it was an average of 66, which explains the -2 it took as mentioned.  It takes lowering ones average to 63 to make TM which means eventually scoring -5 to -7 under fairly constant to get there. From there it takes 60 to make Legend.

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Wed, Jun 13 2012 5:52 AM

steviejar:

Hi, everyone could someone confirm this for me, playing 9 holes on a par 36 i score 4 under! drop .5 from my average.. play 9 holes par 35@ 3 under drop .5 is this correct? can you tell me best way to drop average? apart from the obvious, play better: thanks for replies... stevie.....  

36 - 4 = 32

35 - 3 = 32

Doesn't matter what par is.

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Wed, Jun 13 2012 5:55 AM

x

• Oldbayrunner
    1,774 Posts
    Wed, Jun 13 2012 6:07 AM

LeonDelBosque:

steviejar:

36 - 4 = 32

35 - 3 = 32

Doesn't matter what par is.

It does matter what par is, as you do have to score lower to achieve the same result on a par 72 vs 70 playing 9 or 18 holes

• steviejar
    148 Posts
    Wed, Jun 13 2012 6:52 AM

thanks everyone for the quick replies!

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Wed, Jun 13 2012 11:50 AM

Oldbayrunner:
    I am not quite sure on how it really works

Well, then, why ramble on and on and on? OP wanted to know why -4 and -3 resulted in the same change in his scoring average. Your score counts, regardless of what par is.

• pUGfANmn
    436 Posts
    Wed, Jun 13 2012 10:20 PM

Oldbayrunner:

It does matter what par is, as you do have to score lower to achieve the same result on a par 72 vs 70 playing 9 or 18 holes

Only if you're counting the score below par.  A 66 is a 66 whether you play a par 70, 72 or 73 or 100.  The scoring average has nothing to do with how far below par you play.  Hence what every one else has said about a -4 = 32, -3 = 32.

One more point to give the OP - scoring averages are also based on a fixed number of your BEST scores, so at some point, you may shoot 32, but it does nothing to your average (down OR up).  I thought I might nip that question in the bud, as it does come up pretty often in the forums.

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Thu, Jun 14 2012 2:03 AM

Yes, it's the score that counts, 9 hole scores being doubled (e.g. 33 => 66). Because only a limited no. of the best scores will be included in the average, it's also important which old scores may be replaced. This determines how much the ave. drops and if it will drop at all.

Some may have noticed that a score above their average caused it to drop unexpectedly. This is for example, if there is a score of 80 in an average of 72, a score of 76 (or 79) will kick the 80 out and thus push the average below 72.

A look into Stevie's score history reveals that the highest scores in his average are 66s (15x) and 64s (19x). Thus, now scores of 65 (above the average!) and better will move the average until all the 66s are pushed aside. Eventually, only scores below 64 (that is the 32s you mentioned) will help.

Best to drop the average? You mean "fastest"?

I heard that quite a few players play only StAndrews front nine for that purpose, others say Kiawah is easy. A lower course Par helps if the course ain't too difficult.

I once found a good motivation in chasing the course awards (18 holes), but 9 holes may be easier. Playing the multi-play weekly and monthly tournaments pushes the XPs as a side effect.

RSS