Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Gripes and Ideers

rated by 0 users
Sun, Jul 1 2012 4:13 AM (2 replies)
  • Masterius
    33 Posts
    Sat, Jun 30 2012 7:59 PM

Ok, gripe #1 (which is also idea #1) . . . there should be a "Community Gripe" forum.  ::grins::  You know, call it the "Watering Hole" or something, a forum for good ol', plain-and-simple grousin' 'n' complainin'.

Gripe #2 (which I'm pretty sure is an overly-familiar one): Players who disconnect; not who are disconnected (Lord only knows not everyone has 100% dependable connections) but who disconnect in the middle of a round.  My observations have been that the vast majority of disco-ers are Pro or Tour Pro, and they usually go *poof* either just as soon as their scores start going south, or once they've reached the final green, and without indicating they need to leave.  

Look, I understand things can unexpectedly come up once someone's started playing that necessitates an early departure.  That's happened to me a couple of times.  But I've never just up and left; I've always said I needed to go and apologized.  And it's not really their rudeness that ticks me off; it's that:

1. I lose XP when they leave without finishing
    2. they've bailed a poor-scoring, ranked round to avoid having their average negatively effected.

Surely there has to be a way of tracking, and recording, how often a player disconnects, and whether that occurs when playing a round, logged onto the site, or both.  Then add an option of reporting a suspected disco-cheat (perhaps have a box pop up when a player disconnects that gives the option to report or not).  Correlating those two would provide a means of discerning true disco-cheats.

Getting off my soapbox now.

~Masterius

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Sun, Jul 1 2012 2:25 AM

Masterius:

Ok, gripe #1 (which is also idea #1) . . . there should be a "Community Gripe" forum.  ::grins::  You know, call it the "Watering Hole" or something, a forum for good ol', plain-and-simple grousin' 'n' complainin'.

It exists: Every possible slot in these fori is being used to g&c.

You wouldn't expect whiners to respect the subjects of the fori, let alone the threads, would you?

Masterius:

Gripe #2 (which I'm pretty sure is an overly-familiar one): Players who disconnect; not who are disconnected (Lord only knows not everyone has 100% dependable connections) but who disconnect in the middle of a round.

[...]

Surely there has to be a way of tracking, and recording, [...]

Correlating those two would provide a means of discerning true disco-cheats.

What would WGT gain from this? Nothing or not enough profitable to justify the investment, I fear - thus no chance for realisation.

Mind you, this is just an online computer game. Individual players may hardly be forced into too high a social behaviour code.

• Chaafii
    15 Posts
    Sun, Jul 1 2012 4:13 AM

Regarding gripe #2, I would appreciate a list like Friends for the opposite purpose, where I can add people who rage quit, etc. and then have their names flagged in a different color (or whatever) if they show up on a game I've joined/created.  This would help me personally to avoid games that are likely doomed from the start and perhaps affect a kind of community policing.  If you're a constant quitter, you'll find it increasingly difficult to get into a game...except with other people who don't care and do the same thing.

Also, perhaps the game could pro-rate the xp u get in a group per hole.  It so painful to sit thru an entire round with someone who's stinking up the place with shot after shot, only for them to dc on the final hole.  We honorable few that always finish what we start shouldn't be penalized.  I think it also bears noting that when someone quits a game, u don't just lose xp, half the time it causes the game to freeze for everyone.

Cheers

RSS