Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Question on Avg.

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jul 17 2012 4:59 PM (9 replies)
  • SamanthaWho
    3,403 Posts
    Mon, Jul 16 2012 11:34 AM

I cant figure this out. My last 20 ranked rounds, i have a 33 avg (66). Yet my average will not go up at all, but only down. I can shoot a 35, stays at 62.84, but if i shoot a 30, it goes down.

any reason? I'm not good enough nor do i have the clubs yet to play as a Legend. I know its still a long ways off, but it seems i'm being forced to it if i want to compete and post low scores to win tournaments in our CC.

thanks,

Sammi

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Mon, Jul 16 2012 11:39 AM

Your average stops going up after a certain number of games in your tier. It's all downhill to Legend status now.

• hbthree
    478 Posts
    Mon, Jul 16 2012 2:27 PM

Think about it...since only the rounds that are less than your current average effect your average (after the initial average is set), WGT is leading you to a higher tier which then encourages you to purchase better equipment and balls...all in WGT's interest...HB3

PS...Certainly not an "average"..I bet all baseball players wish their strike outs did not count toward their batting average...hehe

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Mon, Jul 16 2012 3:31 PM

hbthree:

Think about it...since only the rounds that are less than your current average effect your average (after the initial average is set),

(separated for clarity)

WGT is leading you to a higher tier which then encourages you to purchase better equipment and balls...all in WGT's interest...HB3

The first half is not correct.

A number of "best scores" in a tier count towards the average, and there are higher and lower scores than the average value.

FWIW, I have scores from 60 to 68 in my "average bag" of 65.06, and some of the last scores entering it were 66 (33) and 68 (34). Any further score of 67 or less will better my average.

Of course the second half is true. The occasional splendid score will be stored and many of them over time lead to a higher tier and the need for better equipment. Isn't this a structure permitted in your capitalist society?

• hbthree
    478 Posts
    Tue, Jul 17 2012 10:58 AM

alosso:

hbthree:

Think about it...since only the rounds that are less than your current average effect your average (after the initial average is set),

(separated for clarity)

WGT is leading you to a higher tier which then encourages you to purchase better equipment and balls...all in WGT's interest...HB3

The first half is not correct.

A number of "best scores" in a tier count towards the average, and there are higher and lower scores than the average value.

FWIW, I have scores from 60 to 68 in my "average bag" of 65.06, and some of the last scores entering it were 66 (33) and 68 (34). Any further score of 67 or less will better my average.

Of course the second half is true. The occasional splendid score will be stored and many of them over time lead to a higher tier and the need for better equipment. Isn't this a structure permitted in your capitalist society?

Of course the "first half" is correct...encourage you (after your initial 20 or so rounds at any tier, which sets your initial average for that tier) to shoot as many rounds as you wish which are worse than your current average and you will see no movement in your "average"...however, when you shoot rounds that are better than your average , you will see your "average" move downward...which eventually leads to a higher tier...

As to the "second half"...your point is?  Of course it is capitalism, or for that matter, any form of society which allows/encourages making a profit at what one does...

HB3

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jul 17 2012 11:19 AM

SamanthaWho:
    I cant figure this out.

I explained it to you the first time you asked. 3rd post after your question.

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/114555.aspx?PageIndex=35

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jul 17 2012 11:28 AM

alosso:

This is what's not correct. They don't take the best scores, they take all of them until you get to the point Harve is referring to. Once your average stabilizes, the higher scores drop off the string of scores that are used as you post lower ones to replace them (I think that's what you did say.) Eventually you get to a point where it only drops, regardless of what you shoot.

The number of ranked rounds factors in too because none of this starts until you have a certain amount. IDK what it is for the other tiers but Legends need 400.

• genorb
    1,255 Posts
    Tue, Jul 17 2012 12:03 PM

Before having played XX rounds your average is a real average. XX is a number of ranked rounds which depends on your tier (it's 400 for legend and 50 for tour master for example). So before having played XX rounds, the average is just the sum of all your scores divided by the number of rounds (scores from 9-holes rounds are converted into 18-holes scores by multiplying them by 2).

Once you have played XX rounds or more, the average is computed by taking into account only your best ever XX rounds.

Let's take an example with XX = 4. You have played 4 rounds (two 9-holes and two 18-holes) with the following scores:

32, 68, 34, 72.

First you convert them into 18-holes scores:

64, 68, 68, 72.

Your average is then (64+68+68+72)/4 = 68. Now you have reached this critical XX number. You play 1 more round and score 70. This score is above your current average but once you have played XX rounds or more, you have to take only into account your best ever XX rounds. In this example, this means your best ever 4 rounds. So the score of 70 will replace the score of 72. Your average is then

(64+68+68+70)/4 = 67.5

So a WGT average can decrease even if one is shooting above his average.

However, once you have played at least XX rounds, your average can no longer decrease increase* since you take into account only your XX best ever scores.

Regards

*Thanks Jim I am a bit dyslexic sometime. When I passed my license driver examination, they asked me to cover my left eye for a test and I covered my right eye :) .

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Tue, Jul 17 2012 3:55 PM

YankeeJim:

alosso:

This is what's not correct. They don't take the best scores, they take all of them until you get to the point Harve is referring to.

I don't wanna argue since we both say the same with different words, but I think I'm perfectly correct, since all scores are "best scores" before that number of rounds has been played.

YankeeJim:

Eventually you get to a point where it only drops, regardless of what you shoot.

*harrumphs*

No, it won't drop on high scores :)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jul 17 2012 4:59 PM

alosso:
    No, it won't drop on high scores :)

Now you're just getting silly. 

RSS