Forums

Help › Forums

Re: free stroke play tourneys..

rated by 0 users
Mon, Aug 6 2012 7:04 PM (4 replies)
  • BIGDAWG73
    3 Posts
    Sun, Aug 5 2012 10:03 PM

i've been playing here since 2010 and i love the game... this is the first time i've ever posted and i'm sure i'll get a good bashing but here it goes. not sure how players shoot 17 or 18 under in these tourneys but it kinda takes the fun out of it for us average players. and it's always the same players that dominate these tourneys... i'm not mad it just kinda discourages me from playing (even though i always do). i shoot avg. 64.93 and i've scored -10 on occasion but birdie every hole...really? just sayin'. ok...let me have it! 

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Mon, Aug 6 2012 4:02 PM

BIGDAWG73:
    ok...let me have it!

Nah. 

I see you are at Master tier. You should have seen a drop off in sandbaggers at your last promo. There'll be even fewer at TM, and well, what's the point at Legend? As I recall, I got my first top 10 as a Master. You stand a better chance in the Single Play tourney's. You wouldn't believe the number of people who will restart over and over and over. That's how some get those low scores, although I know a few guys who do it in SP, but they are all Legends, soon to be Tour Legends. 

Personally, my best ever 18 is a 59. I did once put together a string of 10 birdies, but that 18 had more than its share of bogeys. 

Hang in, bud. It's all for fun, anyhoo.

• BubbaCrusher007
    1,567 Posts
    Mon, Aug 6 2012 5:01 PM

BIGDAWG73:

i've been playing here since 2010 and i love the game... this is the first time i've ever posted and i'm sure i'll get a good bashing but here it goes. not sure how players shoot 17 or 18 under in these tourneys but it kinda takes the fun out of it for us average players. and it's always the same players that dominate these tourneys... i'm not mad it just kinda discourages me from playing (even though i always do). i shoot avg. 64.93 and i've scored -10 on occasion but birdie every hole...really? just sayin'. ok...let me have it! 

Welcome to the club! I don't get it either. I went to the deviations videos at their site and watched them (the great shooters)). That sort of convinced me that these guys,,ARE GOOD!(i know that's the hokey PGA slogan)

Just shoot the tourneys and have fun, I never expect to post a super score but hey, who knows. Even a blind squirrel finds a solid gold nut once in a blue moon. I'll keep hammerin away.

• Kias
    1 Posts
    Mon, Aug 6 2012 6:16 PM

I just played my very first tournament at Kiawah.

Worse. Game. Ever.

Scored a 112. Found out there's a stroke limit, I've never hit that before!  But I'm in 8889 place!  After about the 4th hole, I just laughed the whole way through the game.  What else could I do?

Between the tournament and the 18 holes I played right before it, my average did drop 10 points down to 98.4 though, so I'm not complaining.

I play on three different computers.  I should probably just pick one, as they all have different places I need to click the mouse for the shot to be semi-decent.

I just assume the guys that always score high (low?) play this game every day, all day, and that's all they do.

• bubbadork
    984 Posts
    Mon, Aug 6 2012 7:04 PM

Actually, there's a logical progression for improving at the game.  I'm sure it's different for different people, but for me it was:

Learn to 2-putt from anywhere.  Obviously I don't mean huge distances or complex multi-breaks, for 2-putt the typical green from 50 feet on in.  If you do that, you'll stumble across some 1-putts.

Hone your approach shots.  Once you hone your close approach shots, you'll get more 1-putts to make up for the missed approach.  When you've improved your long approach shots, you'll have longer putts for a while until you've tightened up your accuracy.

Keep your drives in the fairway.  First cut rough isn't much of a penalty, but anything else is.

Sad, but true, you can buy improved performance.  Better precision and more forgiveness in your clubs and balls.  Clubs and balls with more spin stop faster and the carry is a lot more controllable than the carry-plus-roll.

Just my viewpoint.

RSS