Forums

Help › Forums

Re: New Golfer at Ameteur Level Seeks Direction

rated by 0 users
Sun, Aug 19 2012 7:25 PM (5 replies)
  • Caddy04
    15 Posts
    Sat, Aug 18 2012 10:19 PM

Since I'm a newer golfer I am finding that it is hard to find any ameteur tournaments or activities. Is there any handicap games around one can play as we practice to be better? If so, how does one find them? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Caddy 04

• chris5214
    1,937 Posts
    Sun, Aug 19 2012 6:01 AM

3 options off hand:

1. play some practice rounds on your own .. when you create a stroke play game; under "Game Mode", hit the arrow next to it & select "Practice" .. but i'm sure you know this

2. another nice option is to create a practice mode game for multi-players .. hit "Create Game" on your game client, select the game type, select practice mode, then look down & under "Player Ranking" hit "Amateur +" .. chances are you'll find some other amateurs to play with ..

3. top of your page, select "tournaments" .. different tournaments available to all tiers including Amateur ..

don't be afraid though to play together with higher tiered players .. lots you can learn from watching them play & many are helpful with tips ..

gud luck

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Sun, Aug 19 2012 6:40 AM

May I add some thoughts please...

ad 3, tournaments:

While there are some tourneys with common (difficult) settings for all, WGT Championship, "Sun Safe" etc., all the regular weekly and monthly events should be tier-oriented, giving each player his proper environment (tee selection, wind, greens (mostly)) and competition. You may look at the leaderboard before entering to see if there is a tier separation or not.

4. single ranked rounds (strokeplay)

These are safe to present themselves with the appropriate environment for individual tiers. Plus, all the awards will be given and count towards the level.

5. multiplayer ranked&rated rounds (all games)

A caveat: In these games the highest tier will be used by the system for green speed selection - "very fast" or "tournament" may cause severe challenges for the beginner.

6. There are plenty video tutorials to look at and quite a few FAQs about playing. Most helpful may be "putting" and "short game".

7. Come back here and ask every question you have - lots of help available!

8. Have fun and hit it straight!!

• drmoose
    3,538 Posts
    Sun, Aug 19 2012 7:14 AM

Drop the mouse and run as fast as you can away from here before it's too late ! :) Happy golfin'.

Doc

• Choppography
    2,166 Posts
    Sun, Aug 19 2012 6:38 PM

When starting out, I didn't want to play with anyone else.  I was just trying to get a feel for the game.  Before long, though, I started playing in some matches and stroke play rounds with some others.  I found a few people I hit it off with and looked for them when online.  I slowly started becoming more comfortable playing with friends, and I started getting a little better. 

Once comfortable, I wanted to play golf with others more than I wanted to practice by myself.  There's just a social aspect that is a lot of fun.  I was also starting to think about upgrading my equipment to help me score better.  So, when playing with others, I would click on their names and click the 'equipment' tab.  I would peek in their bags and see what they chose when they upgraded.  And, I would ask them about their clubs.  You know, "I notice you have the R11 driver, how do you like it?"

Most were more than willing to tell me the pros and cons.  This more than helped me decide which clubs to buy and it started a conversation.  Occasionally, I would pick up some swing or situational tips.  These conversations helped me improve faster than any other single factor.

Get involved and you will find more ways to practice and improve than you could ever dream.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Sun, Aug 19 2012 7:25 PM

^ Great advice. Peaking at the bags of better players is something I did on the way up. I noticed the 3 wedges and no hybrid thing so I went that way. Best damn move I've made and it came from simply looking at other players equipment.

RSS