Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Double Standard for Averages?

rated by 0 users
Mon, Sep 10 2012 10:25 AM (5 replies)
  • lkennedy
    194 Posts
    Mon, Sep 10 2012 4:41 AM

It was addressed but not replied to why an average would drop by .01 when the score posted was above the current average.

I play a lot with a Tour Legend whose average goes up unless he posts 6 under or better.  I just posted a mediocre 65 on BPB and dropped .01 to 60.05.  Bad math on my part?  Seems like it should have gone up.  Different formula?

Is there some sort of conspiracy to get me into a tier in which I don't belong?

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Mon, Sep 10 2012 4:51 AM

My guess would be that the 65 knocked out a higher score from which they use for your average.  Looking through you recent score history, you have a few 9 hole scores that when doubled are higher than 65.  

Nothing has changed that I can see on how our averages are calculated.

Then again, I generally just go with whatever happens, so I could be wrong totally.

• Oldbayrunner
    1,774 Posts
    Mon, Sep 10 2012 6:52 AM

Your average will fluctuate until you reach the required amount of Ranked rounds for your tier. Then it will no longer go up. After that you may notice a slight decrease even if you don't shoot under your current average providing you had some birdies but no bogeys and how that score is averaged with what higher scores it may be replacing.

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Mon, Sep 10 2012 7:15 AM

Pardon me, OBR, it's not related to birds and bogeys but only to gross score.

Therefore, an indication of "6 under" doesn't help. Was it 6 under over 18 holes at STA, giving a gross score of 66, or 6 under on the front nine of OLY, giving a sensational 28 (x2 = 56 for average calculation)?

Nevertheless, all Tour Legends are new in their trade, therefore it's safe to say that their average does float, until a number of ranked rounds above 500 (well above I'd suppose, maybe up to 1000 (just a wild guess)).

OTOH their average will be around or below 60, which corresponds to 6 under (30 => 60) at STA. A floating average will only drop when the score added is below the average itself, so this will be true.

As for Ike, a Legend around 60 average, you must have had a score higher than 65 in your 500 rounds counting in (yes, you are out of the floating zone), and the 65 replaced it for a better result. That said, all those nice 31s and 32s (= 62, 64) must have changed your average, too.

Now we know the difference in calculation:

You are out of the floating zone, your friend is within, resulting in different reactions on the same scores.

• Oldbayrunner
    1,774 Posts
    Mon, Sep 10 2012 10:12 AM

Hmmm  not trying to be argumentative, then I wonder why when I was tiering up for Master,  TM and also Legend when I would post identical scores slightly above my average the scores with birdies would give a slight reduction where as the identical score with a bogey would result in no  reduction. 

I have asked several of my friends if they have encountered the same phenomenon and they have had the same lowering result.

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Mon, Sep 10 2012 10:25 AM

This is beyond my horizon...

Of course it depends on the sequence of scores:

One 65 eliminating the last 66 in the pack will have an influence, the next 65 not, because there are only 65s to replace...

Other than that, the average calculation has always been precise to the last digit here looking at the gross scores only, without caring for birds and whatnots.

Alas, you never know - - - Yancy!!

RSS