Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Judging Distances

rated by 0 users
Wed, Oct 24 2012 1:43 PM (7 replies)
  • gerryniswonger
    1,890 Posts
    Wed, Oct 24 2012 9:46 AM

We know it's necessary to add or subtract 1 foot for every inch of elevation when putting.  But do we also add or subtract 1 yard for every foot of elevation around the greens??

Thx in advance

• TarheelsRule
    5,554 Posts
    Wed, Oct 24 2012 9:52 AM

Sort of a crapshoot to me.  Since your chip or flop often goes over the elevation change it isn't as simple as just figured the numbers.  I generally use what you are talking about as a guide but as I mentioned if you are flopping over a ridge for example then you have to take where the ball lands into account.

I also have a difficult time figuring out exactly what the elevation change on shots around the green means on WGT, it seems at times to be very inaccurate.  I assume that it is from ball to hole.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Wed, Oct 24 2012 9:58 AM

I'll assume by "around the greens" you mean chip, pitch or flop shot?  My answer is no but...I do consider the elevation change on these shots because it will affect where the shots land and how far they roll.  Its more a 'feel' thing than a formula thing.

So Gerry, did you overcome your Flash problem posted here?

• Oldbayrunner
    1,774 Posts
    Wed, Oct 24 2012 10:04 AM

A good article to read regarding this is this one:

7840.aspx

• gerryniswonger
    1,890 Posts
    Wed, Oct 24 2012 10:47 AM
    Yes thank you. I had to temporarily disable Norton Security to enable downloading. It worked then.
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Oct 24 2012 12:35 PM

gerryniswonger:
    But do we also add or subtract 1 yard for every foot of elevation around the greens??

Move the aimer backwards from the pin to where you expect to land the ball and watch for the elevation change. This will tell you the slope of the green and that is very important. As was pointed out, you could be standing on a mound or be in a depression and  that skews the number you first see. Go from where you plan on landing the ball which is also where you want to aim the roll from..

• TGor
    313 Posts
    Wed, Oct 24 2012 1:16 PM

One yard for every "3" feet - and yes I do. Probably because I use the flop as my "go to" shot around the greens, and it is a game of inches. Good luck in your quest.

Tony

• borntobesting
    9,687 Posts
    Wed, Oct 24 2012 1:43 PM

gerryniswonger:

We know it's necessary to add or subtract 1 foot for every inch of elevation when putting.  But do we also add or subtract 1 yard for every foot of elevation around the greens??

Thx in advance

Around the green what I do is not exactly take off or add distance per say but rather look at the elevation then if it is more than say 4 or 5 inches uphill instead of adding backspin add a couple of what I call ticks of topspin,trying to hit the same distance in the air and let it roll more. It doesn't work every time of course but it does a fairly good job most of the time.

RSS