Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Sandshots

rated by 0 users
Sat, Oct 27 2012 12:11 PM (4 replies)
  • 27stitches
    161 Posts
    Fri, Oct 26 2012 1:41 PM

next to putting and hitting the dinger - probably my most difficult aspect to get a hold of. i used to be terrified of bunkers but feel i've improved my game here. but just when you think you have it figured out. bunkers close to the green and fairway bunkers. just take what the caddy gives you ? please people any tips ? i know there aren't any difinitive answers but will enjoy all suggestions.

• gerryniswonger
    1,890 Posts
    Fri, Oct 26 2012 6:14 PM

For me, the best place to practice sand shots is on Bethpage #1.  Hit your 2nd shot into the sand then write down the distance and lie of at least 100 shots. (hit it on the green, log the info, then putt it back into one of the traps and start over)  After 9 or ten shots, End Round and do it again.

I've logged  3 different distances from 10-15%, 30-40%, and 40-50% lies.  I now even play to be in the sand short of the greens on 2 very difficult holes.

It takes work but it's worth it.

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Fri, Oct 26 2012 8:53 PM

Always use a full shot when you have room, if not use anything but chip.

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Sat, Oct 27 2012 3:12 AM

Foreword: Don't rely on the caddie - never!

First of all be sure not to use the Starter wedge in your bag - consider to replace it by a decent custom wedge, distance fitting between your LW and PW.

From 20% sand, almost all clubs - ehm, irons - may work. Consider some reduction in length.

From 30% sand, the wedges below PW are best IMHO. Full shots may be 30% shorter, punches only 15-20% shorter. My custom shot from green bunkers is a LW punch (41 yds nominal length) with full backspin, minimum 50%(!) for 11+ yards, 100% equalling about 30 yds. Flops are possible but considerably shortened, sometimes even pitches work if the fringe is low (e.g. BPB #3, front bunker).

From higher %%, I'd use full shots(?! and punches only.

On STA and RSG, there are some lies in the bunker wall => punch out sideways or backwards.

High %% and orange/red lie in UEL, pray.

• gr8flbob
    592 Posts
    Sat, Oct 27 2012 12:11 PM

Fairway bunkers use punch or full shot type only. Except in KI hard sand, do not expect more than 100 - 130 yds max distance. I generally leave spin dot alone. Adjust aiming point to yield a result in the fairway (when the default aim likely won't carry forward rough).

Otherwise, +1 for Alosso's view in general.

BPB greenside bunkers <35 yds or so to pin, with 15% lie, I like flop shots; use full backspin and add a couple yards to indicated distance - a bit more if pin is significantly elevated above lie.

RSS