Forums

Help › Forums

Re: LOL

Thu, Jun 3 2010 8:59 AM (8 replies)
  • zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Tue, Jun 1 2010 3:09 AM

A modest proposal to retire the term "LOL" from use on this site ... especially when used to laugh at one's own jokes. Give LOL a richly deserved rest. Hang LOL's jersey from the rafters and ... move on.

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Tue, Jun 1 2010 3:18 AM

OMG  LOL!

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Tue, Jun 1 2010 7:52 AM

LMAO

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Tue, Jun 1 2010 7:57 AM

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Tue, Jun 1 2010 9:01 AM

Be thankful this forum is as mature as it is... despite the previous posters' shortcomings.

I've seen a lot worse.

• PorkyWalrus
    607 Posts
    Tue, Jun 1 2010 4:16 PM

ah! = Amen Hallelujah!

I have not used that term once here or anywhere else. I usually insist on spelling out words. I have adopted some of the abbreviations I have seen while chatting with someone while playing a round, but I spell 'em out for the most part.

Greg.

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Tue, Jun 1 2010 10:39 PM

So no relief in sight, but at least I'm not the only one who's lolgagging on this site.

LOL R.I.P.

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Thu, Jun 3 2010 7:40 AM

zagraniczniak:

A modest proposal to retire the term "LOL" from use on this site ... especially when used to laugh at one's own jokes. Give LOL a richly deserved rest. Hang LOL's jersey from the rafters and ... move on.

That post really got me turned upside down and around.   707

• SystemCrash
    209 Posts
    Thu, Jun 3 2010 8:59 AM

With any written text, it's sometimes difficult to interpret one's mind since there's no facial expression, mood indicator or tone. The exact same sentence can be used to encourage someone or to tell him off. A good example is someone writing a word or two just to catch attention on that word but be seen by someone else as yelling.

I agree that the "LOL" can be an eyesore in forums but I use it from time to time to show that my post is a positive one and that I'm not þ!$$ɘd since there's no mood indicator system or smileys or whatever (...and inserting media linked to my Photobucket account for smiley usage is a little painstaking for me).

(I'm not angry here... LOL... oops! sorry!)

Rob

RSS