Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Newbie / Question re. lvls/tiers & avg scores.

rated by 0 users
Thu, Nov 15 2012 6:55 AM (3 replies)
  • Stobsbee
    4,784 Posts
    Wed, Nov 14 2012 4:30 PM

Hi all,

I've been playing this game since the start of November and so far have been enjoying the experience. I thought I was doing well and progressing nicely (I am currently ranked as a Pro at level 28 with an avg of 70.67) until I played The virtual U.S. open flashback and realised i'm not as good as I thought I was and just how difficult this game can be. 

The part of this game which I am having difficulty understanding is the level/tiers and avg. scores. As mentioned i'm currently at Pro. level and what I do not understand is how can there be players, with much lower average and much higher level than me but are playing at a lower tier. I noticed that the current leader in this weeks 9 hole unlimited play at Hack level is lvl 83 with an avg of 58.33. I.E. a far better player than me, from the stats, but playing at a lower tier. How can this be?

Apologies if this has been asked/explained previously.

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Thu, Nov 15 2012 1:20 AM

What I think you are seeing is how someone can stay in a lower tier, almost indefinitely, when they don't play many rated stroke play rounds. The good news is a player with ability won't stay in the Hack tier very long if they continue to play in stroke play competitions. The bad news, if they chose not to engage in stroke play, is they can live in the CTTH world (in the lower tiers) for a long time.

Our "Level" is a measurement of how much we play, not how well we play. It is not a factor, as far as I know, in tier placement. Our "Scoring Average", which measures ability to a certain extent, is a factor in tier placement along with rounds played and other factors.

Joey

PS: If you suspect someone of violating the T&C, you can report them to WGT.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Thu, Nov 15 2012 6:38 AM

Stobsbee:

Hi all,

I've been playing this game since the start of November and so far have been enjoying the experience. I thought I was doing well and progressing nicely (I am currently ranked as a Pro at level 28 with an avg of 70.67) until I played The virtual U.S. open flashback and realised i'm not as good as I thought I was and just how difficult this game can be. 

The part of this game which I am having difficulty understanding is the level/tiers and avg. scores. As mentioned i'm currently at Pro. level and what I do not understand is how can there be players, with much lower average and much higher level than me but are playing at a lower tier. I noticed that the current leader in this weeks 9 hole unlimited play at Hack level is lvl 83 with an avg of 58.33. I.E. a far better player than me, from the stats, but playing at a lower tier. How can this be?

Apologies if this has been asked/explained previously.

Just so you know. All entrants in the Flashback have to play from the farthest back tees.The Tournament is not Tiered.  You 've been playing from the 2nd of 4 tees. The course played much longer than you've been used to playing. Judging anything against that will not give you a true picture of your abilities.

• Stobsbee
    4,784 Posts
    Thu, Nov 15 2012 6:55 AM

@Joey - Thank you for taking the time to respond with an explanation to my query.

@Cerino - Yes, I did notice the hole distances were a lot longer. It was not much fun playing 600+ yard holes with starter equipment, but I put it down to all being part of the learning curve. I'm watching vids and doing surveys to get some credits so hopefully I will be able to upgrade to some decent clubs in the near future.

Once again, thank you both for taking the time to respond.

RSS