Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Sand Play

rated by 0 users
Thu, Nov 22 2012 10:39 AM (5 replies)
  • gerryniswonger
    1,890 Posts
    Wed, Nov 21 2012 8:02 AM

I am relatively confident in all aspects of my game except sand play.  I'm pretty sure I can get most shots inside of 20 feet, but that isn't sufficiant to increase my skill level. Is there and Legends or Tour Legends out there that are able to consistently get their sand shots within 10 feet? If so, would you mind sharing your technique?

Thanks in Advance

• SamanthaWho
    3,403 Posts
    Wed, Nov 21 2012 8:22 AM

There is no magic shot, each bunker has its own set of problems in trying to get out of. Some you can flop out of, some you can pitch from, some you are sitting too low to flop or pitch and the ball hits the top ridge and sticks, so you need to learn to dial in a punch shot or a full wedge.

Fairway bunkers have another whole set of issues. 10-15%? hit pretty much any iron. Deeper and its anyone's guess.

It's just practice, and remembering what you hit last time and adjust. Good luck.

~~Sammi~~

• Choppography
    2,166 Posts
    Wed, Nov 21 2012 8:25 AM

Throw this in Game Tips forum.  You'll get more responses.

• bmwruss
    49 Posts
    Thu, Nov 22 2012 3:34 AM

When I'm in the sand close to the green, I almost always use my 64 degree wedge with a full shot. My 64 says 50 yards. So, I figure length, sand %, green condition and swing accordingly using the meter. I can nail it within a few yards most of the time. 

• gerryniswonger
    1,890 Posts
    Thu, Nov 22 2012 3:42 AM

I also use a 64 but how do you figure the amount of roll after landing?  Of course after allowing for uphill or downhill.

• Tonto0206
    460 Posts
    Thu, Nov 22 2012 10:39 AM

As said earlier there are variables to take into account, but for me my baseline to work from is in 30-40% sand a full shot with the dot fully down loses 6-8 yards.

A flop works out of 15-20% but I adjust the aim to 5 feet left and hit the ding line. This shot stops fairly quickly and will go the full distance. A flop played the same way out of 30-40% will lose 6 - 8 yards for any thing up to a 30 yards shot.

Others here can tell you how to punch, I haven't perfected that style yet.

RSS