Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Rough lie

rated by 0 users
Fri, Nov 23 2012 6:03 AM (8 replies)
  • datradr
    4 Posts
    Thu, Nov 22 2012 4:47 PM

In deep rough, I hit 1 yd with selected club: which club is best from deep rough?

• SevenDeuce
    31 Posts
    Thu, Nov 22 2012 7:26 PM

Depends on your lie %. Usually if I end up in the deep rough or fescue, I will just hit a short wedge out back onto the fairway and try to make par. 

If it's 40% or less lie, I will hit my shot normally and adjust the distance.

• andrewmca
    447 Posts
    Thu, Nov 22 2012 7:37 PM

Often a good guide for distance is to add 2 clubs, or a little less than two, and use the 'punch' option with that club

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Thu, Nov 22 2012 7:45 PM

I assume you are talking about the rough after driving. I focus on not getting the ball back in play and usually use punch with top spin. A full shot in deep rough invariably just stay in there especially with the starters clubs.

If its around the green read the chipping and pitching guide - a must for all new players.

• JackTaylor
    225 Posts
    Thu, Nov 22 2012 7:50 PM

It depends on the type of rough also. Rough and light fescue are going to be different even at the same percent. If in fescue use punch to get out and I usually use punch in anything 30-40 and up. This also depends on distance and loft of club, the farther away the more it drags you down, the closer not as much. If you are in heavy fescue and such punch to a safe place and go for the up and down par.  

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Thu, Nov 22 2012 8:34 PM

Punch wedge shot with 10% to 30% of extra meter power depending on the lie percentage is the best shot to get the ball close. Some will say the flop shot, but it takes a lot of practice to see a good result with that type of shot.

The rough and bunkers at Congressional is a good place to practice your short game.

• dryspot
    728 Posts
    Thu, Nov 22 2012 11:24 PM

When im 50% or more i found it best 2 use a punch shot work's 4 me.

• borntobesting
    9,688 Posts
    Fri, Nov 23 2012 12:36 AM

datradr:

In deep rough, I hit 1 yd with selected club: which club is best from deep rough?

If you are talking about the 60% and higher rough just take a wedge and punch it sideways back into the fairway. Shoot I have even punched it backwards to get it back in the fairway. No club or shot will advance the ball much out of the very deep rough over 60%. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Nov 23 2012 6:03 AM

andrewmca:

Often a good guide for distance is to add 2 clubs, or a little less than two, and use the 'punch' option with that club

This is what I do for 40-50 rough. I add one club for 30-40. But, when that word "deep" shows up you have to know that 40-50 deep rough is not the same as 40-50 rough. The suggestion to use the punch shot when you see "deep rough" is a good one. Don't bother with trying to make a heroic shot, just get back in play.

RSS