Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Free rental weekend

Mon, Nov 26 2012 7:50 AM (6 replies)
  • GregoryBar
    9 Posts
    Sun, Nov 25 2012 2:27 PM

Thank you WGT for the free rental this weekend. I tried out the level 79 taylor made burner iron set, I did like them and didn't have a problem with a faster meter, but I didn't see a big difference between that iron set and my current level 58 G20 ping iron set. That helped confirm my decision to purchase the level 83 G20 ping irons when I get to that level in a few days, very much appreciated. By the way I wish I could blame a poor shot on a real course on a WGT conspiracy or meter problem, I'm still usually able to find something to blame other than my swing. Thank you for a great game

• opyeuclid
    6,709 Posts
    Sun, Nov 25 2012 6:48 PM

GregoryBar:
    Thank you WGT

+1

OPY  iaaRft

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Sun, Nov 25 2012 6:59 PM

Yeah, it's been a blast...

• bubbadork
    984 Posts
    Sun, Nov 25 2012 7:21 PM

I rented the only upgrade to my G20 driver that was available to me. That would be the second-from-the-top Taylor made. I also rented the highest available (to me) Taylor 3-wood (I currently have the Taylor Rocketballz).

My opinion is that the Taylor driver (R11 9.0 level 88) is actually shorter than the G20. The three-wood seemed the same as the (supposedly) lesser one. I will not upgrade, if "upgrade" is truly the word. I will wait for the R11S 9.0 driver (level 94). I will definitely rent it first, because of my experience with these rentals. I will never upgrade the 3-wood until I actually have credits to burn.

I do lust after the Taylor iron set (level 90). I don't see how they can possibly be better than my current Burners, except for the distance spread (120-225 versus 125-220). I want that spread because I love my wedges (50, 75, and 100) and my 3-wood (240).

• Lizard69
    2,006 Posts
    Sun, Nov 25 2012 11:40 PM

Bubba, I tried the exact same exercise this weekend and found the distance of my G20 to be greater than the R9, I tried the 3w too and feel the G20 outperforms that also, I specifically play St Andrews in heavy wind setting too because I had heard that in headwinds the R9 outperforms the G20, I disagree..

I was basically trying to get my meter speeds a bit more in line as I have the R11 irons but I'll stay with the G's until L94, hire the TM and make a decision then..

The G20 Driver and 3w must be 2 of the most underrated clubs in this game..

I hired the burners a few weeks back before I got to 90, the R11's are in a different league imo but you may need to change your wedge set up, I now have 60yd/85yd and 105yd wedges with the PW coming in at 120, it's a good spread and works for me..

Either way, the new R11's will def take a week or so to get used to but they are the best irons available and trust me, I had my G20's dialled in to perfection and really struggled with the decision to go to the R's but now I can say. I'm glad I did..

Peace

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Mon, Nov 26 2012 7:06 AM

Lizard69:
    Either way, the new R11's will def take a week or so to get used

Had mine a month'ish and only in the last week or so am I consistantly within a yrd or two of the pin, hard to dial in imo, but now they are.....

Hello 27 / 28 / 29's...it's been a while,(a 57 on Beth wasn't unwelcome either)...(-:

• Lizard69
    2,006 Posts
    Mon, Nov 26 2012 7:50 AM

Yip, took a great bit of advice from Spammage which saved me a week or 2 with the R11's and can usually get most approaches within a few yards now, if I could only find a way to make sure my putter is ALWAYS on fire, I'd be famous :-)

peace

Andrew

RSS