Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Skype

rated by 0 users
Sat, Dec 1 2012 5:39 AM (7 replies)
  • Hewsey
    1,957 Posts
    Fri, Nov 30 2012 8:53 AM

Being a newbie to Skype, has anyone found any issues with using it. By that I mean meter issues or ANY other problems you have encountered. Having said that what were your answers to the problems?  Thanks

• phiber
    2,795 Posts
    Fri, Nov 30 2012 9:11 AM

Hi Hewsey,  We have been using it in our CC for a few months now and the only real problem comes when someone tries to use skype video as it uses too much bandwidth and most people do not have the bandwidth to do that.  Other than that, and learning how to block unwanted requests for contacts, it's one of the best ways to communicate and socialize as you play.  It is also a great tool for learning when you play with someone that is trying to teach you things.

• Hewsey
    1,957 Posts
    Fri, Nov 30 2012 8:21 PM

Great thank you

• genegold2
    1,302 Posts
    Fri, Nov 30 2012 9:37 PM

I've heard of SKPYE and did check into it. The hangup is the cost. I would use it strictly for WGT because I care nothing about socializing with anyone else. This would be good for friends and CC members. Waht would be the expense of such?

• jeffdos924
    1,085 Posts
    Fri, Nov 30 2012 9:49 PM

genegold2:
    I've heard of SKPYE and did check into it. The hangup is the cost.

There is no cost, unless you plan to use Skype for calls to landlines or cell phones  or choose to purhcse a Skype number.

The download itself is free. Free IM chat, video conferencing, and Skype-to-Skype calls. You would need a webcam for the video stuff, of course. Other than that, I would definitely suggest a cheap headset/ mic... you can pick those up for under $20.

• frappefort
    3,994 Posts
    Fri, Nov 30 2012 10:01 PM

phiber:

Hi Hewsey,  We have been using it in our CC for a few months now and the only real problem comes when someone tries to use skype video as it uses too much bandwidth and most people do not have the bandwidth to do that.  Other than that, and learning how to block unwanted requests for contacts, it's one of the best ways to communicate and socialize as you play.  It is also a great tool for learning when you play with someone that is trying to teach you things.

+1  

• genegold2
    1,302 Posts
    Fri, Nov 30 2012 10:04 PM

thanks for the quick reply. I will get into it and try to get more on here using it.

• Oldbayrunner
    1,774 Posts
    Sat, Dec 1 2012 5:39 AM

I use skype a lot for chatting while playing, simply makes it easier and more fun to voice chat than typing and I highly recommend it for playing with friends. Some others use other types of chat that are available also. I prefer Skype it's free and it's easy to use.

I monitor my cpu usage while playing to get the smoothest meter I can. The only drawback to using Skype I see, on my duo core processor is it takes up more constant processing space on my cpu while using it. Usually that will vary from about 0- 9% low point usage with out chatting and 20-25% low point usage while chatting. That cpu load is prior to what wgt adds to load through the cpu. So the down side is it may cause some stutter on your meter if the back swing isn't held slightly longer to allow the cpu load to settle as it has less space for wgt files to load with. That is not to say this will be the case with all types of cpus. I venture quad cores and higher power video cards may experience much less than my duo core and video card I have. I just make mention based on what I monitor and see with mine so if anyone experiences additional meter stutters while using it then this is what occurs. I still recommend it as it is far more fun than not having it.

RSS