Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Flagstick

rated by 0 users
Sat, Dec 1 2012 6:27 AM (4 replies)
  • mnshiner
    1,382 Posts
    Sat, Dec 1 2012 4:35 AM

Just out of myself wanting to know. Would this shot have gone in if the stick was pulled?

Flop from 40%/50%

• Oldbayrunner
    1,774 Posts
    Sat, Dec 1 2012 5:06 AM

IMO, the speed of the ball would have prevented it from falling in the cup a greater majority of the time based on how many I have seen with similar speeds that haven't gone in.

• Steve442
    710 Posts
    Sat, Dec 1 2012 5:13 AM

As the shot seems to be dead centre of the hole I think it may well have dropped. You should always pull the flag.

• Oldbayrunner
    1,774 Posts
    Sat, Dec 1 2012 6:02 AM

Steve442:

As the shot seems to be dead centre of the hole I think it may well have dropped. You should always pull the flag.

No offense but IMO you shouldn't always pull the flagstick. There are some holes such as on Bethpage. Oakmont, Olymplic etc. that have severe down slopes coming out of the rough if your ball lands on the wrong side of the hole. In these cases hitting the flagstick can possibly aid preventing the ball from rolling a very long way from the hole if not hit perfect but I agree with you in most cases it is better to have it pulled. IMO one just has to look at what they are faced with and make the decision to pull it or not based on that.

• mnshiner
    1,382 Posts
    Sat, Dec 1 2012 6:27 AM

That shot was on the downslope. The main reason I didn't pull it. Looking back at it now that ball could still be rolling.

RSS