Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Championship greens

rated by 0 users
Wed, Dec 5 2012 12:01 AM (6 replies)
  • chicagohorn
    90 Posts
    Sun, Dec 2 2012 3:02 PM

Hey I was recently bumped up to legend and I am wondering what the main difference in tournament and championship greens is? Speed, more breaks ?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Dec 2 2012 3:11 PM

Putt like a Legend uphill, putt paranoid downhill. I use avatar movements for putting so for me, getting the speed right is a simple cancel action-cancel the move for Cahmpion speeds. Others will have much to say, I'm sure, and I will be watching because I still have problems with how the breaks are affected.  :-)

• Spammage
    694 Posts
    Sun, Dec 2 2012 3:55 PM

At each speed increase the breaks become more exaggerated also.  So for a putt on legend tourney speeds you might play 10ft of power and 1ft of break (just an example) and for Champ greens you might then need to play 9ft of and 1.25 ft of break.  Like Jim said - you have to be wary of downhillers because on some greens it is next to impossible to stop the ball putting downhill.

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Sun, Dec 2 2012 9:12 PM

And don't forget that there are 2 Tournament speeds and just one Championship speed.

• oneeyedjohn
    9,573 Posts
    Mon, Dec 3 2012 3:40 AM

Don't over exaggerate the break, yes, little more than tourney, but not that much more, it is the power that is more difficult to gauge.

A the end of the day it is all about speed and line, there are many ways to hole a putt.

• SHRUDE
    5,835 Posts
    Tue, Dec 4 2012 11:44 PM

Tour Master Tournament Greens dived your final calculated distance by 1.3

Legend Tournament Greens (if a legend is in the game) Divide by 1.35

Championship Greens, divide by 1.4

This is a general rule of thumb as some courses have different green speeds to others.

• DarSum
    1,440 Posts
    Wed, Dec 5 2012 12:01 AM

The championship green speeds vary from course to course.

Hit a 10ft putt 3 inches uphill on Congressional then hit a 10ft putt 3 inches uphill on Oakmont. Close to a foot difference.

RSS