Help › Forums

Re: dump the hybrid

rated by 0 users
Tue, Dec 4 2012 8:47 AM (6 replies)
  • andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Mon, Dec 3 2012 11:59 PM

Guys please advice accordingly

Been told to dump the hybrid and go for 3 wedges, any advice please!

How about WGT introducing a 2 or 1 iron, also do i purchase the higher level G20's or wait for the R11's, i might be too old by then.

• gmaster007
    2,101 Posts
    Tue, Dec 4 2012 1:07 AM

andwhy67:

Guys please advice accordingly

How about WGT introducing a 2 or 1 iron, also do i purchase the higher level G20's or wait for the R11's, i might be too old by then.

well, if you hit fairways by all means, dump the hybrid
    (don't sell it just yet, just put in an extra wedge instead).

but know this: hybrids will rescue you from the mid roughs,
    where 3 woods are not made for, and give you
    that extra distance that most 3 irons just can't.

if and when you get the top level R11,
    the 3 iron in that set has a reach of 225, same as hybrid,
    so then you really don't need it anymore.

a good player that does a good job avoiding the deep roughs,
    will usually benefit more having the extra wedge in the bag rather than the hybrid.

• foregettaboutit
    227 Posts
    Tue, Dec 4 2012 1:28 AM

Yes, dump the hybrid.. having 3 wedges is vital to scoring well. The way your bag is equipped currently you would greatly benefit from having a 3rd wedge at 100 yds. 

R11 irons are def the best, so try to get to level 90 as quick as you can..

Fore

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Dec 4 2012 7:19 AM

andwhy67:

As fast as you can. Get the third wedge to match the 2 you have and learn the punch with your 3W-it will more than offset no HB.  

Look at it this way. Ask yourself how many times you actually use it and compare that to how many times you would use your new wedge.   FWIW, I never owned a 3W, let alone a HB, until I made Legend.  ;-)

• Tonto0206
    460 Posts
    Tue, Dec 4 2012 8:18 AM

What did you have against a 3WD Jim.

Surely with crappy irons and driver in the lower tiers you mus have needed one.

• lonniescott711
    4,204 Posts
    Tue, Dec 4 2012 8:41 AM

Yes you can dump the hybrid, as you dont need it. You have more than enough club to reach par 5s, in 2 strokes.With your driver and wood, you dont need the hybrid. So get the 54w, lvl 60 for 105 yards. This will give you all the length that you will need and round out your wedges as well. Hope this helps. Happy Swinging 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Dec 4 2012 8:47 AM

Tonto0206:
    What did you have against a 3WD Jim.

Nothing in particular, I just never used it. I went with 4 wedges as soon as I figured out you could. At the time it was the Satin group that had yardages of 60  77  90  110. They took me up to the set wedge and I had great coverage because I used all 5 shots with them. That's 20 different numbers in those 4 wedges alone.

The 3W was never a factor for me because from anything but the Legend tees you just plain don't need that distance to make par. When the sets with longer 3 irons came out this became more evident. Sure, if you want an occasional eagle try you would want one but I have always believed in playing to your strengths and having a 4th wedge made the short game really strong. 

RSS