Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Spin

rated by 0 users
Tue, Dec 11 2012 2:37 PM (2 replies)
  • datradr
    4 Posts
    Mon, Dec 10 2012 5:48 PM

I need some expert help as to back- and topspin. I read that topspin helps against the wind, and backspin helps with the wind but I need confirmation. Is this true? Also is it possible to maximize backspin? 

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Tue, Dec 11 2012 10:36 AM

datradr:

I need some expert help as to back- and topspin. I read that topspin helps against the wind, and backspin helps with the wind but I need confirmation. Is this true? Also is it possible to maximize backspin? 

Hi

there are many things BS offers, but mainly ability so control your shot. There is no easy way to teach it for every shot/hole, just suffice to say that most players prefer to have as much bs as possible and then they can control how they use it.

To maximize backspin, you have to drag the dot on the ball all the way down. Also, we offer wide range of clubs which have high backspin. Please check proshop and look for spin attribute. More dots = more potential spin, with cleveland 80 club being absolute king of spin.

-wgticon

• SHRUDE
    5,835 Posts
    Tue, Dec 11 2012 2:37 PM

datradr:
    I read that topspin helps against the wind, and backspin helps with the wind but I need confirmation. Is this true?

As a general rule of thumb this is correct.

Topspin in high wind head/ side wind will keep the ball low and so not be as affected by lofting the ball high with Back Spin.

Topspin will land the ball early and have some roll on effect.

Back Spin with decent tail wind will carry further.

You are lofting the ball higher and the wind will take it for a ride.

Back spin will land further but have far less roll on effect.

Some holes require more control, you need to stop the ball quickly on the fair way, Back Spin will do that.

Wedges with back spin on your approach, will 'drop n stop' the ball with little roll.

Using Top spin with wedges or irons on approach will land the ball and have roll on effect, you will probably hole more approach shots using less back spin on approach shots, but you may land closer to the hole for a shorter putt using back spin.

Your clubs and the balls you use will depend how much spin effect you have.

RSS