Re: low scores

rated by 0 users
Sat, Feb 2 2013 11:22 AM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • ct690911
    7,205 Posts
    Sat, Feb 2 2013 10:04 AM

chris5214:

pfft .. if i had a penny every time someone said this ..

astounded ? baffled ? don't be .. 

it's pretty simple .. put every approach shot inside 3yrds from the hole, make the put .. birdie .. 

here's the trick .. PRACTICE .. yes, u heard me .. PRACTICE ..

know ur clubs inside out .. know exactly how to hit an iron into the green down to a yard .. 

the more u practice, the luckier u'll get .. no cheats required .. 

DING is ur friend .. find it

True that...but even knowing the traits of ur equipment and practice doesnt totally offset the inconsistent wind readings and green speeds or breaks. Sometimes wind reads 10 Mph and acts like 20 mph or vice versa. Always a challenge !!

• SOYEL1
    698 Posts
    Sat, Feb 2 2013 10:14 AM

This is a video of a sloppy game I played at almighty Oakmont, playing fast, taking little time to aim, yet managed a 30. Opened task manager at the beginning to show the programs running. Did it with an old Camtasia and didn't record the audio.. but it shows you don't even need to ding to score well, actually, I dinged a couple trying not to, so I missed makeable putts. Enjoy it and eat your words.

• Steve2golf
    930 Posts
    Sat, Feb 2 2013 10:34 AM

You need to know how far each club with varying amounts of spin will travel, how much effect the wind will have for each yardage, what the rough will do, what a chip, pitch and putt will do, once you have learned this dinging is easier after the amount of work you just put in, you too will shoot low scores.

Don't expect it will just happen, this is not nintendo.

You can google all you want as well, many before you have tried and failed, you will find no working cheat, it all comes down to learning the game and playing it. It's just a game afterall.

• MainzMan
    9,590 Posts
    Sat, Feb 2 2013 10:48 AM

Anyone who doubts the honesty of some of the good scores just needs to go to YouTube and watch some of the videos there, several players have posted great rounds, filmed real time.  I know SunCity and Bollox have plenty to watch.  No cheating, no auto ding, just experience. 

In fact, if you watch Bollox's videos you might be surprised how often he misses the ding, not by much but is goes to show 100% ding isn't the secret.  He also doesn't appear to use any wind formula, he just knows what effect the wind is going to have, aims accordingly and hits the ball.

Obviously there are variations in the wind, it wouldn't be the same without those WTFWGT? shots but that just makes it more realistic if you ask me.  How many real golfers know exactly how strong and in which direction the wind is blowing?   Trees, hills and dips all alter the wind, it's only right that it swirls a bit now and then on WGT too.

As already said, keep at it, learn your clubs and the good scores will happen.

Steve2golf:

Don't expect it will just happen, this is not nintendo.

I've only played golf on Wii Sports and I'm way better at WGT.  Damned if I can make the ball stop on the green.  I think my best score is 5 under for 9 holres.  It is fun though, I'll give it that.

• mmikkeelee
    591 Posts
    Sat, Feb 2 2013 11:22 AM

end of the day its all about the PUTTER.

know your putter inside out and the pace of each avatar move and your half way there to good scores.

25 - 30 ft putts win tournys cuz its not always possible to hit with in 5 ft of every shot :)

• PAGES
RSS