Forums

Help › Forums

Re: I like this..

rated by 0 users
Tue, Feb 19 2013 9:31 AM (5 replies)
  • Scott2mee
    281 Posts
    Mon, Feb 18 2013 1:25 AM

I like it when a new player gives it everything they've got.. You don't run into them often.. I ran into one earlier playing her first round ever at  of all places Oakmont.. And after a couple holes bought into the idea of just getting it close once she was on the putting surface.. Rather than knocking it back and forth across the green.. She actually hit some decent shots.. Even a couple out of the bunker..She didn't finish the round because I play with a short shot clock and eventually it caught up with her.. I guess I just like it when someone won't stay down..  Does any of this make sense.. 

• SuperKanga
    3,628 Posts
    Mon, Feb 18 2013 4:09 AM

Sure it makes sense

While I applaud your favourable criticism of her, why would you play a short shot clock against a novice to the game?

Just wondering

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Mon, Feb 18 2013 5:11 AM

I assume that she ran into his game by chance, not his fault.

• Scott2mee
    281 Posts
    Mon, Feb 18 2013 9:33 AM

alosso:

Alosso is correct.. I created the stroke play game with a 60 second shot clock and this new comer joined my game..The round started off as a group of three.. There was another experienced player in the group who was also patient and very polite.. I just think when a player is new if you let them know everyones game.. Including your own.. Started from the beginning it allows them to relax a little.. In a way your a WGT represenitive at that point and if you love this game you'll act accordingly.. New members who become comfortable here will continue to play.. They tell their friends and it creates more competition and revenue.. With that the WGT grows and creates new courses every year.. So in a way I do this for selfish reasons.. I'm sorry but I'll never get the chance to play at Augusta.. But if the WGT were to create a virtual Augusta.. Hint.. Hint.. lol.. I may get that opportunity.. Thanks everyone.. See you on the links.. = )

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Tue, Feb 19 2013 5:49 AM

Scott2mee:

alosso:

Alosso is correct.. I created the stroke play game with a 60 second shot clock and this new comer joined my game..The round started off as a group of three.. There was another experienced player in the group who was also patient and very polite.. I just think when a player is new if you let them know everyones game.. Including your own.. Started from the beginning it allows them to relax a little.. In a way your a WGT represenitive at that point and if you love this game you'll act accordingly.. New members who become comfortable here will continue to play.. They tell their friends and it creates more competition and revenue.. With that the WGT grows and creates new courses every year.. So in a way I do this for selfish reasons.. I'm sorry but I'll never get the chance to play at Augusta.. But if the WGT were to create a virtual Augusta.. Hint.. Hint.. lol.. I may get that opportunity.. Thanks everyone.. See you on the links.. = )

Great job Scott. You might want to remind the newer players when in a stroke play game that they're really playing against the course and their own average not against yourself. That way they don't focus so much on what you do and concentrate on themselves and what they can get out of a stroke play round against the course.

• Scott2mee
    281 Posts
    Tue, Feb 19 2013 9:31 AM

CerinoDevoti:

Scott2mee:

alosso:

Great job Scott. You might want to remind the newer players when in a stroke play game that they're really playing against the course and their own average not against yourself. That way they don't focus so much on what you do and concentrate on themselves and what they can get out of a stroke play round against the course.

That's a great idea Cerino.. I think some new players "Especially the ones who are just naturally competitive" could lose site of what matters most and focus on the score or what I'm trying to do.. Which by the way is exactly the same as what they should be trying to do..My game can improve in every aspect.. It needs to.. And I don't have many answers to help a new players game.. I think just letting them know that the best practice for the game of golf sometimes is just to play golf matters.. New players who really want to become better at this stand out from those people who are just playing games on the computer.. I was and still am that player who really wants to get better at this.. At the sametime I'm always willing help and share what little knowledge I have.. I've obtained so much of it from other players who were also willing to help and if you think about it.. This Iis one of the best things about the WGT.. The people..

RSS