Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Question about club distances.

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jul 9 2010 3:03 PM (9 replies)
  • darkage47
    57 Posts
    Fri, Jul 9 2010 6:13 AM

Are the club distances calculated on slow greens, standard greens, or fairways? If it is fairways..how fast are the fairways? Just trying to increase my knowledge of this great, and frustrating, game. This would help especially on the greens as alot of my pitches and chips run way past the hole even with considerable decrease in set power.

• griffygriff
    597 Posts
    Fri, Jul 9 2010 9:45 AM

Darkage47, you might want to consider buying the SD balls. i hate to sound sarcastic but how you don't know the answers to your questions, being a master with some of the best equipment on offer blows my mind .

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jul 9 2010 12:52 PM

darkage47:
    Are the club distances calculated on slow greens, standard greens, or fairways?

I would imagine greens have nothing to do with the rated distances. The way they're rated would probably come from distance tests off tees and in fairways. How they act in your hands under all the different scenarios would be up to you learning how they act. Just like putting is affected by green speeds, so are shots into it. 

Griffy is right about the ball. With all the equipment you have, using the starter ball is a little self defeating. The spin you need is there from the club but the ball doesn't accept it. It helps you control those landings and resulting roll outs.

Something else to look at would be your shot selection. Flops don't roll out like chips and pitches. Spin on the ball works good in controlling most roll outs but you need balls with that attribute. GL

• darkage47
    57 Posts
    Fri, Jul 9 2010 1:24 PM

griffygriff:

Darkage47, you might want to consider buying the SD balls. i hate to sound sarcastic but how you don't know the answers to your questions, being a master with some of the best equipment on offer blows my mind .

Griffygriff, to you I say this...I was put in the master tier when they first came out with the tier system and BEFORE they implemented average scores into it. I never considered myself good enough for master but now I'm stuck with it. If I could I would go back to pro tier as I feel that is truly where I belong. This was just a question that I thought of in the past day or so and I figured I'd shake the tree and see what fell out. Besides...it might help a newbie.

• darkage47
    57 Posts
    Fri, Jul 9 2010 1:38 PM

YankeeJim:

darkage47:
    Are the club distances calculated on slow greens, standard greens, or fairways?

I would imagine greens have nothing to do with the rated distances. The way they're rated would probably come from distance tests off tees and in fairways. How they act in your hands under all the different scenarios would be up to you learning how they act. Just like putting is affected by green speeds, so are shots into it. 

Griffy is right about the ball. With all the equipment you have, using the starter ball is a little self defeating. The spin you need is there from the club but the ball doesn't accept it. It helps you control those landings and resulting roll outs.

Something else to look at would be your shot selection. Flops don't roll out like chips and pitches. Spin on the ball works good in controlling most roll outs but you need balls with that attribute. GL

YJ, I know I should be using better balls, but I feel if I can start shooting lower scores with the starter balls, then I can truly compete when I use pay-to-play balls. I actually bought a set of balls a few weeks ago. I just haven't equipped them. Guess I'm allittle stingy with my money LOL. Besides, there are a few players on here that reached TRUE master status with nothing more then the starter balls. Like I told Griffy, just a question, and it might help a newbie.

Keep it in the short grass.

• garyk49
    2,324 Posts
    Fri, Jul 9 2010 2:27 PM

Depending on which one of the balls you change to, your whole game will change.  Without practice with any given ball, you will end up back to square 1.

Your clubs with starter balls you have probably learned to shoot short onto the green, allowing for the rollout of the starter ball that you can't stop.  Some of the spin balls will allow you to go right at the pin and stop/backup the ball.

Your club distances either from the tee or fairway will all change from the distances you are used to with the starters.

These numbers aren't exact but as a example, exclude wind and surface roll, using flat surface and dinging the meter, so don't quote me as being exact.

Using satin 64 club

starter 50

gi-d     52

tour-gi-sd   54

Just to show you how your game will change.

I have to add 2-4 yards to rated iron distances from fairways with the tour sd's, as they will hit farther, so depending on shots your whole game of club selection will change.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jul 9 2010 2:40 PM

Good advice there, gary. I never took the time to understand exactly how far the SD ball goes more than the free one but I do know it makes the rated yardages of the clubs minimums

@dark-I figured you were in the wrong place when they came out with that tier last year by checking out your score history. Using that free ball will work for sure, you just have to play a little more conservatively. By your OP it looks like you might be firing at the pin more than you should. Try the flop shot for close up. It will still roll but not as much as the chip or pitch. Also, try taking one more club than you think for those approaches but hit it less than full. It also helps when you play a hole to lay up to exact spots in the fairway that will let you use your accurate wedges. Hope this helps. 

• garyk49
    2,324 Posts
    Fri, Jul 9 2010 3:00 PM

YJ, no dot distance starter, 1 dot with gi, 2 dots tour gi sd, same with spin.  I can back up the tour balls and stop the gi's.  Starters rolllllllllllllllllllll.

• darkage47
    57 Posts
    Fri, Jul 9 2010 3:01 PM

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I will apply it to my game play. And I guess I should dust off those balls I bought and see what happens. Who knows...maybe I'll qualify for the NEXT open. Don't think I'll qualify for either of these.

Good Hitting.  Keep it in the short grass.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jul 9 2010 3:03 PM

darkage47:
    And I guess I should dust off those balls I bought and see what happens

Try the Tour-SDs that magically appeared!    ;-)

RSS