Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Setting up a CC tournament

Thu, Apr 4 2013 4:34 PM (6 replies)
    306 Posts
    Wed, Apr 3 2013 10:07 PM

Is there a space here at WGT that provides info on the do's and don'ts on how to best set up a tournament? 

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Thu, Apr 4 2013 10:12 AM

hi

I think this question is best answered by the community. We try to provide many options as to create flexibility, but I am not sure if there are specific do's or don'ts.

-wgticon

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Thu, Apr 4 2013 10:29 AM

Just ask Caroline.

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Thu, Apr 4 2013 10:50 AM

The don'ts are few:

- No variation, the same set-up over and over.

- inappropriate timing like single play tourney, open a week (unless special reasons).

- entry fee not adapted to the audience. Some only play for little credits (50 is a limit in my CC), some like high wagers.

- my special pet peeve: Fee + cut lines. So. who pays should at least have the opportunity to play all rounds.

Some Do's:

-  variation in set-up, greens and wind => think of lower tiers 

- have a tournament open for entry (1st round) as often as possible,

- incentives like prizes & virtual cups for the walls,

- Tier-limited tourneys by acclamation (no fee!)

- more 9 holers than 18 holers, more "unlimited" than "single".

- discuss in the CC forum.

The execution depends on the CC activities. If the owner / committee sets up many tournaments, this may be sufficient.

I encourage my members to set up their own tournaments to their liking, and this results in a good variation.

We had a nice series of "unlimited" tourneys, each on one course:
    front 9 + back 9 + full course.

We had "back nine only" series.

We have the odd CTTH and Putting (CTTH) tourneys.

• borntobesting
    9,683 Posts
    Thu, Apr 4 2013 1:25 PM

One more don't. Don't set up many 24 hour tourneys. Many of your CC members might not have enough time to play in them. Before I retired I worked 12 to 13 hours a night and if someone set up a 24 hour tourney at say 12 noon when i was asleep I might not even find it until 11:30 AM the next day and would only have a half an hour to play an 18 hole tourney and as slow as I play that would have been impossible.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Apr 4 2013 2:27 PM

A huge "do" and that is double, triple and quadruple check  your tournament setup before posting it. There are no do-overs and if it goes up wrong you're stuck with it to the end.  You can't delete them either.

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Thu, Apr 4 2013 4:34 PM

Use the forums to be creative. When these are set up, it's best to have a warning in the title. As simple as "Forum"

For example my CC is in the final stages of our second "Survivor" type series. Each week has a challenge associated like predict your final. If everyone hits theirs, the loser is the one who gave him or herself the easiest road. Immunity challenges are a hit also.

Develop a method of handicapping the members. We use the last 20 ranked rounds. It's a boost for the lower tiered members.

It's gotten to the point that I almost exclusively play CC tourneys. By comparison the WGT tourneys are pretty bland.

RSS