Help › Forums

Re: Hello from No. Calif.

rated by 0 users
Fri, May 31 2013 9:15 AM (8 replies)
  • jpinsticks
    3 Posts
    Thu, May 30 2013 11:29 AM

Hello everyone,

I found and joined WGT about a week ago and I'm having the time of my life!!  I don't really have much experience in video/arcade golf games in the last 10 years, except Wii, but this one is awesome.

The Community Forums are a great help.  Unfortunately, I get caught up following threads and have a tough time getting back to golf.

Being the shy kinda guy that I am, I've only played against one person.  I'm hoping to get some golfing buddies on here, but half of them are computer-challenged and the other half spend their spare time at the 19th hole lying about their real golf game. LOL.                          Is there a protocol for joining Country Clubs?  I wouldn't want to venture where I might not be welcomed.

Well, I'm off to the troubleshooting forum, as I can't play since last night's maintenance downtime.

Cheers to all,

Jerry

• Kelsey12
    2,114 Posts
    Thu, May 30 2013 12:44 PM

Welcome to the game Jerry. It can get quite addicting, and frustrating at the same time. As long as you maintain your patience, you'll be fine.

There are some CCs that don't permit members until they've become established, but feel free to post an entry in the Country Club Corner that you're looking to join and I'd expect you to get at least a few replies.

Or you could just wait for Courteney to see this & send an invite.

Happy golfing - Kelsey  =)

• Boomerboy44
    1,514 Posts
    Thu, May 30 2013 2:18 PM

Howdy, You might think about getting rid of your hy-bred and go with 3 good wedges. You will find as in real golf your short game is where you save strokes. GOOD LUCK.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Thu, May 30 2013 3:11 PM

Welcome to the game Jerry. Pleased that you are loving it, it is an addictive game!

As for CC's, yes many clubs want players at Pro level and above, but as you have upgraded clubs, personally I think it shows commitment and you will improve quickly.

I also agree with Boomer, a third wedge is worth its weight in gold compared to a hybrid. Personally I would also used a different ball than you are using, the Callys get expensive if you lose them which is common at your level. So I would opt for a slower meter WGT ball if meter speed is the issue.

What is the problem after the downtime? Hopefully you will have found the answer before you read the post.

• devonnnnn
    1,085 Posts
    Thu, May 30 2013 5:54 PM

Welcome to WGT

• frappefort
    3,994 Posts
    Thu, May 30 2013 6:58 PM

I see by the positive way you wrote your message , you will have no problem joining a CC.       And like mentioned here  on this thread, the game is verry difficult to get good at ,    if you dont let this game get you down  to often , turn the page and try again ,,,,,         Well you are on  the way  to enjoy  this game even more .  Welcome to WGT.              Frapp              

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Fri, May 31 2013 3:05 AM

Welcome Jerry,

-wgticon

• Fekdrink
    138 Posts
    Fri, May 31 2013 6:33 AM

Being a relative novice myself I could not hope to offer as good as advice as you have above re the general game play, but I have been through the joys/agonies/frustrations of the early stages of the game perhaps more recently. With that in mind may I offer the following for your consideration.

1). Set yourself realistic targets. If you are trying to shoot under par on every course you play it just won't happen, unless you are very, very good indeed. I started by aiming to break bogey on every hole I played ie beat 18 over. When I could do that I aimed for breaking nine over, then five over and so on and so forth. I now average probably one or two over and shoot a few sub par rounds. 

2). Try to play as many ranked rounds as possible.These are the ones that count towards your average and score XPs which advance your Levels. The higher the Level the better equipment available to you.

3). Never give up on a round at this stage no matter how badly it's going. As mentioned above every shot you take gains you XPs to advance your Level. Don't worry that' it'll ruin your average as this is calculated only from your best rounds. The number of rounds averaged out varies at each Tier (Hack/Amateur/Pro etc) ie very few in the early Tiers.My current quoted average is 69.6 but as mentioned above I don't shoot in the sixties very often. And still hit the odd 80.

4). Play every day. Even if it's only a CCTH - nine shots in total - you'll get a consecutive days play bonus which reaches 880XPs every day after five days play if memory serves. I usually hit a CCTH whilst having my morning coffee without even bothering to aim to get this bonus just in case I don't have time later.

5). For now play the percentages. A lot of the pins are positioned close to a bunker or the rough. With the starter clubs it's hugely unlikely you'll be able to clear these hazards and still hold the green. Leading to double bogies or worse as you try and escape from the trap. Better to aim for the middle of the green where a great putt will get you birdie, a good one close enough to hole out for par and even a bad one probably no worse than bogie.

6). Putting pace. I think the best piece of advice I was given early on was to learn how to read the pace of putts. Get this right and you'll rarely end up more than five feet away now matter how badly you read the break.

OK enough from your fellow novice, back to those who really know what they're talking about.

All the best, Fekdrink.

• bypass07
    1,360 Posts
    Fri, May 31 2013 9:15 AM

Welcome to the game !! your game will improve with time. my best advise is to play and have fun. the rest will come in time !!

RSS