Forums

Help › Forums

Re: the 95% shot

rated by 0 users
Thu, Aug 12 2010 8:55 AM (3 replies)
  • Covenant
    1,498 Posts
    Wed, Aug 11 2010 12:52 AM

For quite a long time now I find myself wondering about the fact that the 95% shot, especially when over 140 is needed, is constantly short

I know that every swing is divided in 20, what I call, nudges. Teh full shot minus 1 gives me most of the time not a bit too short, but often more than 20% of the needed distance short and I am simply fed up with it.

Its plain stupid that you can hit further with the 90% one (2 nudges down. Is there a reason for it, is it a bug?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Aug 11 2010 5:17 AM

Those "nudges" aren't directly proportional to the distance. You're not going to get 1/20th of the yardage for each one. 

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Thu, Aug 12 2010 8:19 AM

Covenant:

For quite a long time now I find myself wondering about the fact that the 95% shot, especially when over 140 is needed, is constantly short

I know that every swing is divided in 20, what I call, nudges. Teh full shot minus 1 gives me most of the time not a bit too short, but often more than 20% of the needed distance short and I am simply fed up with it.

Its plain stupid that you can hit further with the 90% one (2 nudges down. Is there a reason for it, is it a bug?

Are you complaining that a 95% power shot does not travel 95% of the club's full distance?  I could be wrong, but in my experience, that is not the case and it is the case that 95% power shots really do travel 95% of the normal distance.  It seems to me that the relationship is pretty linear in the 90-100% range, but you will start seeing balls fall short if you hit 60% and lower... for sure.

I'm even more certain that, in my experience at least, a 95% will go further than a 90% shot.  There are, of course, a lot more factors than just that to consider than just how much power you put into the shot, such as wind (large impact on the movement of the ball at the end of its flight  -- it can overpower backspin, or it can stop forward progress of a ball and make it stop on a dime when it's not supposed to), slope of the ground on impact (upslope will kill forward movement, and vice versa), slope of the ground during the roll, randomness of the shot caused by imprecision, etc.  Long shots are also hugely impacted by wind, and how wind affect shots is still somewhat unknown to me.  I've had an 85% drive  travel over 330 yards, which was a huge surprise to me, so I think, even though we're both masters, that the game sometimes surprises us.

That said, I do realize you're a master, so I know you're aware of most or all of this stuff, but I don't know what to say other than the fact that what you believe is happening to use has not been the case for me.  In my experience, the game is very consistent.  It will surprise me sometimes, but I'm usually just getting surprised consistently about the same things over and over again, until I say to myself "ok, this result isn't an anomaly... but it is the norm" and change slightly my brain's little prediction model for how a shot will turn out.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Thu, Aug 12 2010 8:55 AM

Marioh wrote a post a while back explaining that a 95% shot or greater (for any club) is needed to make the ball stop on a dime when using back spin, even on down hill slopes. He was right, it works, and is something to keep in mind if you want to make more birdies.

RSS