Forums

Help › Forums

Re: getting to next level master tour master legend?

Tue, Oct 1 2024 10:58 PM (80 replies)
  • alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Tue, Oct 1 2024 10:58 PM

Usually, I say, wedges first, but I'm gonna break it down from the irons today.

Your choice would be the L85 irons @3595 cr, which - from the numbers - are better than my go-to, Ping i230 L83 @3125 cr.

If the budget calls for less expensive clubs (and leave enough credits for three wedges!), it's important to choose "high trajectory" irons which start at the L59 Ping i230 @2525 cr.

Next, consider to drop the hybrid club in favour of a third wedge, and choose three wedges to fit with good spacing below the PW of the iron set. These have 110 and 115 yds, respectively, in the three sets named before. Standard lengths are 50 - 75 - 100, or 60 - 80 - 100 yds, but I've also seen creative compinations of different lengths. It helps to know that the meter speed is very similar in all wedges. If you want a complete set, make sure that your desired lenghts are included - some sets are not complete!

"Unfortunately", the top Callaway are out of reach, and their spacing doesn't fit at all - 75 - 100 - 115 yds, doubling the PW while leaving too big a gap at the low end. (NB: My  50 yd wedge gives me a full punch at 42!)

A budget solution may be the Taylormade Milled Grind L38-39 @695 cr each (the Max next to them have an unfortunate spacing).

That said, 4,610 crs would buy you a budget selection, and "the sky has no limit" ;o)

RSS