Forums

Help › Forums

Re: TOURNAMENTS

rated by 0 users
Sat, Aug 28 2010 3:47 PM (8 replies)
  • JAMESBALDINI
    266 Posts
    Thu, Aug 26 2010 2:39 AM

I JUST PLAYED THE ST ANDREWS BACK 9 COURSE TOURNAMENT SHOT A 4 UNDER PAR 32.HOW COME WHEN I CHECKED THE LEADER BOARD FOR THE PRO DIVISION THE PERSON IN FIRST PLACE IS NOT A PRO PLAYER BUT A MASTER LEVEL PLAYER.CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME

THANKS

JAMES

• austinio
    6 Posts
    Thu, Aug 26 2010 5:33 AM

Most likely because his/her good performance in that tourney got them promoted to Master.

• bigdaddie1
    2,694 Posts
    Thu, Aug 26 2010 7:42 AM
    Actually, 6 of the top 10 scores are Masters. Some of whom have played Master Tier in RG rounds. The same is true for amature level, where a good percentage of the top finishers are pro's. Can someone explain why people who have played in higher tier's can compete in lower tier tournaments?
  • Mem11
    199 Posts
    Thu, Aug 26 2010 3:02 PM

Those individuals entered that particular tournament as Pro's.  Sometime after they entered, they became Masters by continually scoring low in Ranked rounds, thus achieving the necessary average to become a Master.  From this point forward, every tournament they enter will be as a Master.

Once you enter a tournament at a certain tier you stay at that tier in that event until it ends, you can not enter the corresponding Master tier event.  

If it's an unlimited play tourney you can continue to play in it until it ends, even though you are now a Master. 

Here's what makes it fair...  If those newly minted Masters purchase Master level equipment and then try to play in a Pro tier event with the new stuff, they get an error and are unable to play.  They may only play in a pro level tier tournaments with pro level equipment, therefore it's a level playing field for everyone.  Hope that helps.

• bigdaddie1
    2,694 Posts
    Thu, Aug 26 2010 4:35 PM
    Mem11 Thanks for your reply. It seems clear at this point, except for your last statement. They may only play in a pro level tier tournaments with pro level equipment, therefore it's a level playing field for everyone. If they change thier master level equipment in the bag to pro level, can they then enter a pro level tournament?
  • Mem11
    199 Posts
    Thu, Aug 26 2010 5:56 PM

Bigdaddie1,  No, once you become a Master you can no longer enter Pro level tournaments, no matter what clubs you use...  Any mixed tier tourney you enter, like the RG's, will be as a Master.

It is possible to enter the Pro Monthly Single Play 18 tourney on the 1st of the month, make Master on the 15th and not play in it until the 30th, when you've been a Master for a couple of weeks.  Again no advantage as you must use Pro level equipment when you play in that tourney.

One caveat...  In the very near future, WGT will be adding new "Tiers & Levels" and it has been hinted that it may be possible for those in all Tier's to obtain all the same equipment.  Read about it Here.

• bigdaddie1
    2,694 Posts
    Fri, Aug 27 2010 5:45 AM
    Well done. Thanks for the detailed explaination.
  • borntobesting
    9,685 Posts
    Sat, Aug 28 2010 1:39 PM

bigdaddie1:

Even though they are at the master tier level,for the remainder of that tourney they still have to use pro tier clubs. As it would not be fair for them to use master tier clubs from the pro tier tees.

• Mem11
    199 Posts
    Sat, Aug 28 2010 3:47 PM

borntobesting:

bigdaddie1:

Even though they are at the master tier level,for the remainder of that tourney they still have to use pro tier clubs. As it would not be fair for them to use master tier clubs from the pro tier tees.

Hmm, I thought I said that, I guess I was being way to verbose... :-)

Mem11:
    Here's what makes it fair...  If those newly minted Masters purchase Master level equipment and then try to play in a Pro tier event with the new stuff, they get an error and are unable to play.  They may only play in a pro level tier tournaments with pro level equipment, therefore it's a level playing field for everyone.  Hope that helps.

RSS