Forums

Help › Forums

Re: If two or more people shoot the same score in a stroke play tournament, what determines their position?

rated by 0 users
Thu, Aug 26 2010 1:40 PM (4 replies)
  • broccoli
    222 Posts
    Thu, Aug 26 2010 11:20 AM

I assumed that WGT has the same system for all its tournaments, but as far as I can see it's not based on when a score is submitted, because otherwise I would've won one of my CC's tourneys by now. Don't interpret that the wrong way - I'm not being a sore loser - I'd just like to know the answer to my question.

For example, I just shot 63 on St. Andy's; this ties with first place, but i'm in second. In this case, I submitted my score after the person winning did. When the situation was in reverse and I was in the lead, I got bumped into 2nd place (and that person submitted their score after me). We both had the same score, so when the score is submitted can't be the issue.

Perhaps it's based on a person's average or the no. of birdies scored in the round they got (e.g. someone with 10 birdies/2 bogeys placing higher than someone with 8 birdies & no bogeys)??

I'm really not complaining, so don't have a go...

• TDHarvey
    433 Posts
    Thu, Aug 26 2010 11:53 AM

I believe it goes backward on the score card for ties. Best score on 18 or maybe the last 3 holes, then on down the line. It is explained under tournament rules somewhere here. 

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Thu, Aug 26 2010 11:54 AM

Hey Broc,

The tiebreaker goes to the person who made birdie on the last of the closing holes.  For instance if you play 16, 17, and 18 birdie birdie par and your opponent goes par birdie birdie, he wins if final score is the same.

I'm not sure how the tiebreaker works if you make the same exact score on all the holes though.  Have wondered about that for a while and perhaps someone can shed some light.

***Edit.  Just found this.  Should answer the questions.

How are ties handled?

In the event of a tie, the better scoring entrant between or among the tied entrants will be the entrant with the lowest combined score for the final nine (9) holes of the Game. If any ties remain, the better scoring entrant between or among the remaining tied entrants will be the entrant with the lowest combined score for the final six (6) holes for such Game.  If any ties remain, the better scoring entrant between or among the remaining tied entrants will be the entrant with the lowest combined score for the final three (3) holes for such Game. If any ties remain, the better scoring entrant between or among the remaining tied entrants will be the entrant with the lowest score for the 18th  hole (9th for nine hole games)  in such Game, and any remaining ties will be determined by identifying the lowest scoring entrant for each individual game hole, in sequence from 17th (8th for nine hole games) through to 1st, as is necessary to determine a winner, and if any ties remain at that point, the earlier-submitted entry between or among the tied entries will be deemed the better scoring entry.

If multiple people tie for a place, the percentages for those places will be added up and divided by the number of people who tied for the place. For example, if three people tie for 2nd place, the percentages for 2nd, 3rd and 4th place will be totaled up and divided by three. Each player would receive the same amount. 5th place will then get the correct 5th place percentage.

• pricehcs
    288 Posts
    Thu, Aug 26 2010 11:58 AM

Jake's on it.

If 18 hole tourney and scores are tied, tiebreakers go as follows:

-Lowest score on last 9 holes - if equal, then...
    -Lowest score on last 6 holes - if equal, then...
    -Lowest score on last 3 holes - if equal, then...
    -Lowest score, hole by hole, in reverse, 18 to 1 - if equal, then...

Then first one to post the score wins.  For 9 hole tourneys, start at the 2nd bullet point.

• broccoli
    222 Posts
    Thu, Aug 26 2010 1:40 PM

OK, thanks guys :)

Now I think about it, I'm sure I read this in the FAQ's .. months ago. My short term memory is obviously shot!

RSS