Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Looking for a more fun play

Sat, Mar 8 2014 7:27 PM (9 replies)
  • Valhalla49
    21 Posts
    Fri, Mar 7 2014 5:23 PM

I started WGT on an Ipad 2, which does not allow play with others, and when I tried to play on my laptop I had all kinds of problems. After more than two months, and having my Ipad stolen,  I suddenly was able to play on the laptop this past weekend. I tried several practice rounds because it was soooo different using the mouse. Then yesterday I tried to play with someone else for the first time. As soon as I accepted to play the other guy assaulted me by asking if I was planning to quit before finishing the whole round. I told him no and that I was in for the round. I also told him that it was my first game with another player and to be gentle with me. He proceeded to tell me how badly he was going to beat me. I agreed with him and said that I was just going to try and have fun. With a two stroke lead after the first hole he asked me if I didn't have any balls with spin. I made a somewhat off color joke about my balls not spinning (probably inappropriate, but was just having some fun as I would on a real course) and the next thing I know he has forfeited the game. I don't know if it was what I said or the fact that I was not an experienced player with all the cool equipment.

I am retired and living on social security and a small pension in the Dominican Republic. I do not have money to spend on expensive balls so I buy the WGT SD's. I have a couple of good clubs, but I am truly a par play at Tour Pro level 74. I may shoot a little under on a course that I play a lot and maybe 8 or 9 over on new or harder courses. I don't know how some people can play 15 to 20 strokes under par. I play in tournaments and never get better than 2 or 3 under par. But I would like to play with people that are close to my same abilities and just want to have a pleasant, friendly game. Is this possible or should I just continue to play by myself?

• opyeuclid
    6,709 Posts
    Fri, Mar 7 2014 7:15 PM

Valhalla49:
    just want to have a pleasant, friendly game. Is this possible

Yes it is Sir . 

There are a lot of nice people here and then you have the players .

The best thing I can tell you is , If you start a game Finish that game .

Post your score with Pride .

The score does not matter , But if we all finish we all win .

I am a Verified Reformed ( Retired ) forum troll 

• jayheels
    148 Posts
    Fri, Mar 7 2014 7:16 PM

Sorry to hear about your experience try joining a country club that way you can find some good people to play with.

• oneeyedjohn
    9,572 Posts
    Fri, Mar 7 2014 8:29 PM

No need to get upset by the odd ball that treats u that way, there are many many fine players here, who have no compunction about playing with lesser skilled players such as yourself.

I am one of those players .

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Fri, Mar 7 2014 9:46 PM

oneeyedjohn:

No need to get upset by the odd ball that treats u that way, there are many many fine players here, who have no compunction about playing with lesser skilled players such as yourself.

I am one of those players .

To add on to 1eye,

If you find yourself in a game and your 6 strokes down after 3 holes...keep going...very possible you are plaing with an experienced player who will lend a hand...just ask for assistance, it's the best way to improve.

• BubbaSauce
    260 Posts
    Sat, Mar 8 2014 4:32 AM

You want some fun, come join our Country Club, Just 4 Fun.

We have a great group of players whose soul purpose is to just have fun playing this game. From the top players on down, every game I've played with our members from the day I joined has been a pleasure.

We have a monthly tournament where we use a handicapping system that truly gives everyone a shot. We also have daily tournaments of different types so there's always something going on.

So come on and give us a try.

Check out our website, http://j4fcc.homestead.com/

Also check out our own forum: http://j4fcc.prophpbb.com/

• cbbcrazy
    488 Posts
    Sat, Mar 8 2014 5:56 AM

Noticed the Valhalla in your name,  do you live in Kentucky?  I have played Valhalla a few time and really enjoyed it,  great track.  Join a club where you can make friends to meet up with on occasion and have good round among friends.

We have a good club, not trying to get you to jump in but you can check us out.  Small club playing together for over 2 years.  Great bunch of guys.

Omega Golf Club

thanks

Cbb

• Valhalla49
    21 Posts
    Sat, Mar 8 2014 6:38 AM

Thanks so much.

• Valhalla49
    21 Posts
    Sat, Mar 8 2014 6:39 AM

Requested membership. Look forward to meeting you all.

Homestead? Like Florida?

• Fredd7
    38 Posts
    Sat, Mar 8 2014 7:27 PM

Valhalla49:

I too ran into a feller just like you described. Kept asking after every hole if I was ready to quit and explaining that if I did please make sure it was my turn and forfeiting.

As luck would have it my computer chose to lock up. I was able to get re-set and logged back into the same game. I finished the nine holes and took great pleasure in actually winning the last hole with an admittedly  lucky long putt. Lucky shot? Yes it was but somehow very satisfying.

BTW put me on your friends list if you like. I am a newbie and not up to your tier. But I like a friendly game

Fredd7

RSS