Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Wind

rated by 0 users
Fri, Apr 18 2014 6:46 PM (3 replies)
  • PDRenfrow
    5 Posts
    Sun, Apr 13 2014 10:55 PM

Can someone tell me why it is that at times the wind has an effect on the ball at a given speed, direction and location and then when all things being equal it seems to have little or no effect at other times. Frustrating when you make adjustments and the ball either lands miserably short or flies long. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Mon, Apr 14 2014 3:53 PM

PDRenfrow:
    Frustrating when you make adjustments and the ball either lands miserably short or flies long.

Sadly this has been going on for some months now. There are saved shots showing the ball breaking into the wind. I posted one myself. As I recall, this was WGT's reasoning. Winds shift after the ball has been struck. Quite true, but the variance does, at times, seem more than a bit exaggerated. 

Relatedly, the effect of the rough is now more variable. Kind of like catching a flyer in the real world. 

There is no fix. Just stay out of the rough and expect not to do as well in medium/high wind conditions. I guess the good news is that we're all in the same boat. 

Good luck. Try to have fun.

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Mon, Apr 14 2014 5:25 PM

The method I use to allow for wind on approach shots has shown me the wind is consistent and predictable.

Using the Pitch/Chip shot mode - putting green grid.

For me the variable then becomes how close to the Ding! I can get.

Gauging how much wind will effect distance is a tougher nut to crack and varies somewhat by golf course.

But, wind angle plays an important part in deciding how much effect the wind will have. 

• Jan64
    123 Posts
    Fri, Apr 18 2014 6:46 PM

Just lost a ball in the water due to the fact that there was no wind adjustment. Wind showed 15 MpH from the right. Ball went straight anyhow. More than a little annoying.

RSS