Re: Pro Shop Equipment Tables

Thu, Oct 10 2024 2:37 PM (574 replies)
  • ScottHope
    10,365 Posts
    Thu, Oct 10 2024 7:00 AM

kp1961:
    Hi Guys

I am level 51 looking for a decent putter. Welcome advice. Cheers

No offence kp, but I'm not sure a new putter would help you. Try to find a formula to get you on point with your distances, then practice reading the breaks, again and again and again.

• GreenLaser
    208 Posts
    Thu, Oct 10 2024 7:41 AM

ScottHope:

kp1961:
    Hi Guys

No offence kp, but I'm not sure a new putter would help you. Try to find a formula to get you on point with your distances, then practice reading the breaks, again and again and again.

I agree with Scott for the most part, but depending on what method of putting you favor and what problems you may be having, a different putter might help a little.

If you move the aim marker to account for break and try to hit the ding, the 2.0 Forgiveness of the putter you have now isn't doing you any favors, and a slower Meter than the 4.0 of the putter you have now might help if you have trouble hitting the ding. If that's how you putt, I'd suggest waiting and getting the L59 Odyssey putter. It has high 4.5 Forgiveness, 5.0 Meter, and good 4.2 Precision.

If you putt by accounting for break by intentionally missing the ding, the putter you have now looks okay. I still prefer a slower Meter even with that method, but the putter you have now shouldn't be terrible for that method.

• Robert1893
    7,715 Posts
    Thu, Oct 10 2024 10:48 AM

kp1961:

Hi Guys

I also don't think you need a new putter. Of course, I believe the putter is the last piece of equipment a player should upgrade. Basically, I played the starter putter until Level 70. 

Best way to improve putting is to have a decent set of wedges. I would ditch the hybrid and carry 3 wedges: 56 degree, 60 degree, and 64 degree. With the pitching wedge (in the set of irons), you can punch to fill a gap (if needed). 

Over the years, I would say the most important club I have is the 64-degree wedge. It's created more birdie opportunities and saved more pars than any other club. 

After getting the wedges in order, the next step is to upgrade the irons. The general consensus has always been the Level 59 Pings are the irons to get and will serve well until Level 85. High trajectory irons make a difference.

When you hit Level 70, that's when I would think about upgrading the putter.

Scott's right (as he always is!), finding a formula and learning to read breaks is much more important than the putter one has.

• ScottHope
    10,365 Posts
    Thu, Oct 10 2024 1:44 PM

That's very kind Rob, but you're still not having my last Rolo.  : ))

• Robert1893
    7,715 Posts
    Thu, Oct 10 2024 2:37 PM

😀

RSS