Forums

Help › Forums

Re: bunker practice and mapping

Thu, Jul 18 2024 6:50 PM (7 replies)
  • Safdar1
    454 Posts
    Sun, Sep 7 2014 10:56 AM

Hi can anyone recommend a big flattish green with sand around it to practice these shots?

I have searched the forums but could not find anything suitable. I know lots of greens have bunkers, but I would like a big and flat green to get the best idea of what the shots do without slope, before then adjusting for slope etc.

Thanks in advance.

• ZioMio
    4,680 Posts
    Sun, Sep 7 2014 11:25 AM

Bethpage Black comes to mind.

• TopShelf2010
    10,897 Posts
    Sun, Sep 7 2014 11:41 AM

• birdiesfly1
    31 Posts
    Tue, Jul 2 2024 8:36 PM

St.Andrews - hole 9

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,615 Posts
    Wed, Jul 3 2024 9:28 PM

I'm sure the OP has figured things out by now after playing for ten years. 😉

• birdiesfly1
    31 Posts
    Wed, Jul 3 2024 10:43 PM

Probably but when I was looking for it a few weeks back, there was nothing here specifically addressing WHERE.  Lots of other off topic "expert" advice which I found not very helpful.  Perhaps it will help the next person who looks for this info. Good Day

• SamSpayed
    4,992 Posts
    Thu, Jul 18 2024 2:44 PM

SimonTheBeetle:

I'm sure the OP has figured things out by now after playing for ten years. 😉

I think the OP stopped playing a long time ago.  Maybe he just couldn't figure out how to map the bunkers 😁

Ideally, if you're going to pick a hole to practice bunkers, it would be a Hole #1 or Hole #10, so you can start a practice round (with mulligans available) and go right to it.  Lots of good choices.  Merion #10 comes to mind, with the left pin location.  It's flat and you can practice both short bunker shots (from the left bunker) and longer bunker shots (from the back right bunker).  I wouldn't pick Bethpage, because a lot of the bunkers there are 15-20%, and you probably want to practice 30-40% and 40-50% since that's what you'll face the most.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,615 Posts
    Thu, Jul 18 2024 6:50 PM

SamSpayed:
    I think the OP stopped playing a long time ago.  Maybe he just couldn't figure out how to map the bunkers 😁

I'm not sure why, but I remember the OP's username. He was quite an accomplished player if I recall correctly.

SamSpayed:
    Ideally, if you're going to pick a hole to practice bunkers, it would be a Hole #1 or Hole #10, so you can start a practice round (with mulligans available) and go right to it.  Lots of good choices.  Merion #10 comes to mind, with the left pin location.  It's flat and you can practice both short bunker shots (from the left bunker) and longer bunker shots (from the back right bunker).  I wouldn't pick Bethpage, because a lot of the bunkers there are 15-20%, and you probably want to practice 30-40% and 40-50% since that's what you'll face the most.

I agree. For me, 30-40% is the baseline, and then I adjust accordingly above or below that point.

RSS