Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Option to Pull the Pin

rated by 0 users
Wed, Dec 30 2015 10:19 AM (8 replies)
  • the1duffer
    83 Posts
    Mon, Dec 28 2015 5:04 PM

It would be nice to have the option to pull the pin for those short shots from around the green.

I have lightly bumped the pin so many times and have the ball bounce away, missing the hole out.

Oh, but I get a nice HIT THE FLAGSTICK every time! LOL

• ZioMio
    4,680 Posts
    Mon, Dec 28 2015 5:36 PM

Click on the flag icon next to the yardage and it is pulled.

It's even in the FAQ --------->>>> If you cared to look it up.

How do I remove the flagstick?

Simply click on the Flagstick icon in the upper right hand corner of the game screen at any time to remove and replace the flagstick. When the flagstick has been removed a red slash will be displayed over the icon.

• hakman123
    2,119 Posts
    Mon, Dec 28 2015 6:45 PM

Be careful - you MUST pull the flagstick out BEFORE playing your shot. It's not like real golf where you can see the ball rolling towards the hole, and then pull it out at the last moment. Where-ever the flag is when you play the shot - that's where it is locked in. Anything you do afterwards is for display purposes only.

So if you pull the pin out before chipping, and then to make it easier to see where the hole is you stick it back in right after playing the shot -- the display shows the flag is in the hole -- but the shot was played with the flag out - so the ball cannot hit the flag!

The outcome of the shot is determined the moment you strike the ball - so logically anything you do to the flag after hitting the ball cannot possibly have any influence on the shot.

• the1duffer
    83 Posts
    Mon, Dec 28 2015 8:42 PM

Thank you so much! Great things could happen now! LOL

• the1duffer
    83 Posts
    Mon, Dec 28 2015 8:46 PM

Thank you very much, that is great info and great news to me!

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Mon, Dec 28 2015 11:18 PM

hakman123:
    Be careful - you MUST pull the flagstick out BEFORE playing your shot. It's not like real golf where you can see the ball rolling towards the hole, and then pull it out at the last moment.

Nitpickingly, the game follows the Rules of Golf in this case. There, the flag must be tended before the shot for a legal action, and this is mimicked here accordingly.

• hakman123
    2,119 Posts
    Wed, Dec 30 2015 7:51 AM

alosso:
    Nitpickingly, the game follows the Rules of Golf in this case. There, the flag must be tended before the shot for a legal action, and this is mimicked here accordingly.

Yes - but in the real game, if I ask for the flag to be tended before my shot - the caddy holds the flag and can leave it in the hole so that I can see my line. Then he may pull out the flag as the ball is in motion.

The real reason you can't change the flag after your stroke, is that WGT calculations have already worked out where the ball went. The visual bit on the screen so you can watch the shot is all for aesthetic reasons only. So if the ball hit the flagstick - that was determined the moment you struck the ball. You happened to see it some seconds later -- pulling the flagstick out cannot change the fact that the ball was already going to hit it!

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Wed, Dec 30 2015 9:41 AM

We only have to think of the correct analogies:

Ask to tend the flag = click on the flag symbol

Caddy shows flag = unchanged display of the flag

Caddy pulls flag = no flag hit by the ball.

hakman123:
    The real reason you can't change the flag after your stroke, is that WGT calculations have already worked out where the ball went.

+1

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Dec 30 2015 10:19 AM

Heh, nothing like making it difficult. Hakman was all over it and quite correct. In fact, if you watch fmagnets play, he pulls a pin and puts it back after the shot is made and I never understood why.

There is a simple rule one can live by--if you think you can make the shot, pull the pin. Pulling the pin isn't always the best move when you're close. Sometimes you might want to use it to stop a shot you know is going to roll out a lot. (Think pitching or chipping from rough landing on a down slope.)

This applies to fairway approaches, too. Get it out of the way so you don't run into one of  those wild, hit the stick and bounce a mile away shots.  :-)

RSS