Forums

Help › Forums

Re: So many issues...I'll start with bunkers.

rated by 0 users
Wed, Aug 10 2016 12:23 PM (8 replies)
  • GreenOstrich
    4 Posts
    Sat, Jul 30 2016 1:15 PM

I'm not sure how or where to post, but I saw I could here...maybe I'll get some tips. WGT claims to be the most realistic online golf gaming experience. So why is it that your ball ROLLS into a bunker and it's a 30% lie? I can see the ball being somewhat buried if it comes straight down...but rolling into a bunker shouldn't cause a bad lie.

That being said, is there any way to hit something other than a wedge out of a fairway bunker? I've been playing golf for nearly 20 years and have hit hybrids and long irons out of many fairway bunkers. But on this "realistic" game, I can't hit anything other than a wedge.

(Well, you CAN hit irons out of a bunker but it doesn't matter. A 5 iron goes just as far as a pitching wedge.)

• alosso
    21,054 Posts
    Sun, Jul 31 2016 12:00 AM

Lie %% is a characteristics of the bunker, not of the shot. Most bunker areas are 30/40, some are less or more, regardless of the shot.

Yes, only wedges (incl. PW) from 30/40 bunkers, and don't expect more than 80 yds. Lie %% is the burying rate, and I guess that you hit hybrids etc. IRL only from "on top" lies of 0 - 10 %.

You hope for a change? Consider that they are WGT and hope is futile.

• Robert1893
    7,711 Posts
    Wed, Aug 10 2016 7:00 AM

If I recall correctly, I think you can hit longer irons out of Bethpage bunkers. But those bunkers are the most forgiving because, I believe they're all set to 20-25%. 

• hakman123
    2,119 Posts
    Wed, Aug 10 2016 7:13 AM

The lie is a function of the topography.

Basically the terrain is divided up into tiny squares, and each square has a lie coded to it. So where you end up dictates the lie - irrespective of how you got there. You can plummet from 150ft straight down, or gently roll in - the lie will always be the same. You will find the same thing with water -- the ball can trickle into the edge of the water by a couple of inches. Logic says you will be able to walk up and collect it - but no - in the water = lost ball!

It is realistic -- to a point.

Sometimes you get 'hard sand' and the lie is a much lower % (say 5%), and you can just about play it like from the fairway.

Then again you can get 40-50% and you do well just to get the ball out.

Best idea is to play for fairways and greens. Stay safe and the scorecard takes care of itself.

• ct690911
    7,205 Posts
    Wed, Aug 10 2016 7:29 AM

Neil is spot on with his post. I will add. from personal experience, not to attempt a recovery shot with a putter or a golf umbrella...no matter how often the virtual caddie (or perhaps the beer) recommends it...oi vey

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Wed, Aug 10 2016 9:15 AM

GreenOstrich:
    why is it that your ball ROLLS into a bunker and it's a 30% lie?

The group ahead of you failed to rake the bunker, and your ball is in a heel print. 

:^)

Actually, I agree 100%. Fairway bunkers in WGT are flawed.

• Robert1893
    7,711 Posts
    Wed, Aug 10 2016 10:19 AM

In the thread linked below, I think sky0diver makes a very good point about bunkers and the realistic nature of the game.

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/405192.aspx 

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Wed, Aug 10 2016 10:21 AM

While it is true that fairway bunkers do not play in any way realistically it would be a bad idea to change their characteristics.

They are one the few things that keep scores from being even more ridiculously low.

That's probably bs though, the real good players never go in them!

• Robert1893
    7,711 Posts
    Wed, Aug 10 2016 12:23 PM

PaulTon:

While it is true that fairway bunkers do not play in any way realistically it would be a bad idea to change their characteristics.

They are one the few things that keep scores from being even more ridiculously low.

And some of the bunkers by the greens (on the par 5s) are not all that penal. I'm thinking of the 4th hole on Chambers Bay. For me, it always makes sense to try go for that green. If I end up short and in the bunker that's not that tough of an up-and-down for a birdie. 

And I've made birdie from fairway bunkers on a par 5 (as I'm sure a lot of people have). I'm not that great of a player, but I have my moments.

https://everyplay.com/videos/31870267 

RSS