Forums

Help › Forums

Re: just became a master - everything is harder now

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jan 7 2010 2:32 AM (6 replies)
  • ogur728
    2 Posts
    Mon, Aug 24 2009 1:34 PM

I just became a Master and it seems as though the game is 10x harder.  If I don't hit the ball exactly perfect, they go way off line.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I haven't changed my clubs (still ahve starter set) so it doesn't make sense why the game is so difficult now.  I thought the tiers were to put you with similar golfers, not make the actual game harder.

Perplexed...

• Jimbo652sssssss
    167 Posts
    Mon, Aug 24 2009 1:42 PM

Well I just made master after a lot of hard playing and yeh its harder but my first game out as master i shot a -3, so it can be done. Keep the faith brother"

• Griz0613
    80 Posts
    Tue, Aug 25 2009 12:14 AM

The reason the game is harder is probably the added length of the course. You have to hit longer irons to greens and what not which results in not as many birdie opportunities. The only way to compensate for that is to purchase equipment, not that you have to.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Aug 25 2009 5:27 AM

Griz is right-you now have the privilege of playing from the blue tees, roughly 20 yds or so further back. This translates to the approach shot you used to play. You used to be able to put a high-loft iron close to the pin. Now you get to deal with the flatter trajectory of the longer iron you need to get there.

If you don't want to upgrade to longer clubs, and you can definitely compete with the starter clubs, try a new approach to the course. Play to your short game by hitting to the spot where you can nail the pin from. This means you have to get up and down to save par but shoot par from the blue tees at BPB with standard clubs and you're doing something-it's tough. Take the par, the birdies will come.

If that doesn't suit you a driver upgrade will get you the length you need off the tee and a decent wedge with spin rating will make you real dangerous from 100 yds in. I carry 4 wedges, all with spin rating, and find it major fun to play the short  game.  (I've already conceded the fact that I suck, will always suck, and am not going to get all stressed because I CAN'T HIT THE FRIGGIN MARK!-LOL)

The Redwood putter forgives enough on the under 30 putts to make par a given and the occasional  3-4 under is enough to keep me coming back. Just like the real thing, there's always that moment of "perfection" on a shot or well-played hole that will keep you addicted.

Hit 'em long and few. GL

p.s., I spent a fraction of what a game off the shelf costs and have all I need for me.

• ogur728
    2 Posts
    Tue, Aug 25 2009 5:59 AM

Thanks for the responses.  However, the reason the game is harder has nothing to do with added length.  On the first hole at Bethpage, regardless of what tees I use, I am usually left with similar distances on my approach shot.  However, it's a lot tougher for me to hit the green even on close to perfect shots.  There have been shots that I've hit perfectly (with no side to side wind) that end up going about 20 yards right of the target for no reason.

• dysmike
    3 Posts
    Tue, Aug 25 2009 6:30 AM

i just became master myself.  it seems harder because they put you back about 25 feet when you tee off.  i bought a driver and 3 wood during pro.  it seems difficult to get to the green at times.  if you made master with the starter set, then i'll make sure not to play against you.  congrats

mike

• dysmike
    3 Posts
    Thu, Jan 7 2010 2:32 AM

the game does get harder   they want u to spend spend spend    new clubs, balls etc.  u wont get far if u dont spend bro

good luck

RSS