Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Just a thought b4 you crucify.

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jun 7 2011 8:02 AM (6 replies)
  • Lashe
    824 Posts
    Mon, Jun 6 2011 5:59 PM

I haven't been here for very long in the grand scheme of things.  But, in my few months I've seen an awful lot of threads about cheaters and sandbaggers.  And, I don't doubt that there are some here that do in fact manipulate the game to benefit themselves.  But, tonight I had reason to check myself before I assume someone falls under that blanket.

I chose to enter a random MP tonight.  The player I was matched up against was ranked as Pro.  We had very little in the way of chat during our round (a concept a bit foreign to me if you ask anyone that knows me.  lol).  My opponent played the game very much to the point.  Given that I had time on my hands between shots, I took some time and studied up on my opponents stats. 

First thing I noticed (besided the quite respectable avg) was that this player had a very impressive MP win avg.  But, what I noticed even more was that my opponent didn't have a huge bankroll, ie: Credits Won.  Meaning, this person wasn't using their pro status to invade, and win over and over again, RG tourney's, etc..  Nor was this person mis-representing themselves as a lowly Pro to sucker others out of thier credits in MPC rounds.  Bottom line (imo) was that this person simply enjoys playing MP above all other options here at WGT.

And, that's cool.  We all enjoy different aspects of the game and social experience here.  But, we'd be wrong to take this player at face value and claim them to be a cheat or a sandbagger using the system to give them an unfair advantage against us (again, IMHO).  My opponent wound up winning the round 1up in 9, btw.  It was a well played round and I enjoyed playing it.

Just some food for thought the next time you want to pull someone to the carpet here because they seem better than their tier shows them to be.

Sorry so long.  Didn't mean it to end up being a tome. Hit well, have fun.

Lashe

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, Jun 6 2011 6:34 PM

Point well taken...twice

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Mon, Jun 6 2011 6:34 PM

Lashe:
    First thing I noticed (besided the quite respectable avg) was that this player had a very impressive MP win avg.  But, what I noticed even more was that my opponent didn't have a huge bankroll, ie: Credits Won.  Meaning, this person wasn't using their pro status to invade, and win over and over again, RG tourney's, etc..  Nor was this person mis-representing themselves as a lowly Pro to sucker others out of thier credits in MPC rounds.  Bottom line (imo) was that this person simply enjoys playing MP above all other options here at WGT.

Only thing, is MPC credits are not counted towards career earnings, plus, looking at MP games played, gives no indication if they were scored or Credit games.

• Lashe
    824 Posts
    Mon, Jun 6 2011 6:48 PM

Good info MBaggese.  I was not aware of that.  Thank you for the info. 

In any case, I spent no credits in the round and did enjoy playing it.  I believe it even helped me step up my game (at least in the putting arena) trying my best to win the match from behind.

• JaLaBar
    1,254 Posts
    Tue, Jun 7 2011 12:19 AM

My problem comes from seeing someone who has only played the free tourneys, has never shot above par in any round since joining, and doesn't have an extensive gap between joining and that first sub-par round.  One good way to tell is look at if they have a posted score the day they joined.  If they threw up a sub-par round the day they joined, it's probably a dual account.

See, sand-bagging, while ethically questionable, I don't believe technically violates the T&C.  No one can force you to ascend in tiers.  However, dual accounts are against the T&C, and anyone WGT catches at it should have all of their accounts locked.  So, if you think someone is a sand-bagger, all you can really do is be aware and try to avoid games with them.  Dual-accounts should be reported.

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Tue, Jun 7 2011 4:33 AM

I've mentioned this before .... 

As it stands now .... players who play stroke play are "rewarded" when their "psuedo-average" (it's not really an average) reach certain levels and you play a certain amount of games.  Yet by playing just match play .. you can continue to advance levels, have access to the best equipment, and continue to play off the forward tees.   i.e.  Not a level playing field for match play for Match play or if/when that person decides to participate in stroke play.

WGT should do is ... use Match Play points as another way to "reward" good play.    Instead of resetting them each month ... keep a running total ... then folks can advance either through stroke or match play.   

An example would be.

1. Become an Amateur at 50 points or xx.xx avg after xxx Games
    2. Become a Pro at 200 points or xx.x avg after xxx games
    3. Become a Tour Pro at 500 points or xx.x avg after xxx games
    4. Become a master at 900 points or xx.x avg after xxx games
    5. Become a tour master at 1,400 points or xx.x avg after xxx games

If you've played enough games to achieve these point levels, you know the courses well enough and are ready to advance regardless of your average. 

Just a thought.

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Tue, Jun 7 2011 8:02 AM

[not reading any other posts except for the OP] 

I agree that it's wrong to criticize someone just because they are a high level low tier, but time and time again, many members have proven themselves to be sandbaggers. 

I don't have that many rounds played (around 350 I believe), but I've been here long enough to be able to decipher who is sandbagging and who isn't. 
    In fact, just the other day, I joined a game of Ranked Match Play with a Tour Pro. I look at his stats, and he had about 125 games played with a 70+ average and GIR of 60% and a Fairway Accuracy of 78%. Yet at St. Andrew's, he had no problem hitting every single fairway and green, with most of his shots being inside of 5 feet with an easy birdie putt to win the hole. 
    I understand that he could have been on top of his game, but my better instincts tell me to doubt it. 

RSS