Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Average score

Fri, Jul 15 2011 4:22 PM (5 replies)
  • ThomAce
    11 Posts
    Wed, Jul 13 2011 2:04 PM

It's supposed to be averaged over your last 10 rounds correct? My average is 67.70, but my last 10 rounds average is 64.2. So can someone explain how exactly they are getting the current 67.70 average? 

Last 10 rounds: 70, 64, 64, 62, 62, 66, 62, 64, 66, and 62. 

Total: 642

642 / 10 = 64.2 average. 

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Wed, Jul 13 2011 4:12 PM

That best 10 out of the last 14 when by the way side long ago.  Today, our average is not a true average...its more like a handicap, as in real golf, that measures potential.  A good round will only move you up slightly and a poor round is discarded.  Frequency of play is also a factor...although WGT has never devoulged its algorithm, suffice it to say we need to play regularity, and at a high level, to get to the next tier.  Just be careful because this place can be habit forming.      

Joey

• SweetiePie91
    269 Posts
    Thu, Jul 14 2011 11:56 PM

Joeyola:
    A good round will only move you up slightly and a poor round is discarded. 

Really?? I can't see how this can be true. If I shoot 72,62,66 I get average of 66,7 which is fair? 

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Fri, Jul 15 2011 1:43 AM

Give it time to adjust.  What you are experiencing is the normal variation after being promoted to a new tier.  Basically your average in the Amateur tier is no longer a factor.  At the beginning of a new tier, your average will immediately adjusted, noticeably, for play at that level...you'll notice greater movement at this time as higher scores will affect the algorithm.  Eventually things level out...and, as I said, averages begin to move downward slowly, and "a bad day won't matter".  Below is a cut and paste from the FAQ Home section from over there------->    

Joey

*********************************************************************************************

What is my Average Score?

Your Average Score will be based on multiple best scores within ONLY your current Tier, not scores that you shot when in previous Tiers, which better reflects your current skill competing with the tee boxes and green speeds in your current Tier. Your Average Score will be based on ONLY your best scores, so completing a bad round will not negatively impact your Average Score or Tier. So be sure to finish all your rounds and gain the extra experience points, as a bad day won’t matter.

• Vyris
    3 Posts
    Fri, Jul 15 2011 2:03 AM

I don't see how that is accurate, I have seen my avg go up after a bad round.

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Fri, Jul 15 2011 4:22 PM

Vyris:
    I have seen my avg go up after a bad round.

EDIT:

I hear you...but most likely that was the result of tier bump during the adjustment period.  Although WGT is not talking, I believe other factors, like frequency of play, course difficulty and maybe even Country Club tournaments can have an affect on our average.  Basically, it is what it is and that's the way WGT wants it.  Just keep that in mind as we continue buying balls in our attempts to advance.

Joey         

RSS