Forums

Help › Forums

Re: An interesting question...

Sun, Jul 17 2011 2:25 PM (5 replies)
  • JaLaBar
    1,254 Posts
    Sun, Jul 17 2011 10:47 AM

This is a quote from the Golf.com article on Darren Clarke's win, and something I have seen quoted before referring to St. Andrews and even Pebble Beach on the right days:

"Gusty winds hinder putting at St. George's, and short putts had bedeviled Mickelson all week."

Does wind affect putts here at all?  I was under the impression it does not, but this isn't the first time I have wondered this.  The thought has come up while putting in 30 MPH winds at St. Andrews.  I know that in real golf on those courses, wind can have a pretty large effect on putting.  I wonder if it has any here.

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Sun, Jul 17 2011 10:57 AM

JaLaBar:

This is a quote from the Golf.com article on Darren Clarke's win, and something I have seen quoted before referring to St. Andrews and even Pebble Beach on the right days:

"Gusty winds hinder putting at St. George's, and short putts had bedeviled Mickelson all week."

Does wind affect putts here at all?  I was under the impression it does not, but this isn't the first time I have wondered this.  The thought has come up while putting in 30 MPH winds at St. Andrews.  I know that in real golf on those courses, wind can have a pretty large effect on putting.  I wonder if it has any here.

Bollox once said that when he is putting in winds over 20 he factors in the wind because it will affect the ball. For the most part after he said that I have always noticed a minute but real deviation on winds over 20.

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Sun, Jul 17 2011 11:09 AM

JaLaBar:

yes wind has an affect on your putts.

Cheers,

b0gey

• Cleworthy
    3,468 Posts
    Sun, Jul 17 2011 1:36 PM

SGTBilko:
    Bollox once said that when he is putting in winds over 20 he factors in the wind because it will affect the ball. For the most part after he said that I have always noticed a minute but real deviation on winds over 20.

I second the comment about 20mph+ wind affecting putts.  C

• LizzieRossetti
    1,545 Posts
    Sun, Jul 17 2011 2:24 PM

I haver noticed that nothing affects my putts. I can miss just fine whatever I do.

Lizzie xx

• LizzieRossetti
    1,545 Posts
    Sun, Jul 17 2011 2:25 PM

Least of all any of they faaaaancy expensive putters.

RSS