Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Adapting to new Cleveland Wedges

Sun, Jul 24 2011 10:20 AM (7 replies)
  • TurkishTerror
    2,177 Posts
    Sun, Jul 24 2011 6:34 AM

I recently purchased some of the new Cleveland wedges.  Now I know when buying new clubs there is somewhat of this "adapting period" of a few days.  I have been playing with these wedges for over a week now and i can NOT figure these fu%&ers out. 

Im either too long, too short, too long, too short.  On one hole (cant remember), the wind was in my face 4mph, had a 25% lie, and distance was 83yrds.  Just practicing the shot I fealt like using a full 80 with no backspin to see what would happen.  The ball flew 20 ft. past the hole!  On other shots, I take some power off, I end up 20 short of the hole.  I cant find that "middle ground".  I am not going to sell these clubs or ever stop using them obviously, but am I the only retard here thats having problems with them?

These clubs are waaaaay different than any other wedge out there ( I know because I have owned them all).  I feel kinda stupid writing this post but mabye someone can help me out here.  I have a feeling Im just going to get "practice practice practice"!! hahaha

Thanks in advance for you help

TT

• SHRUDE
    5,835 Posts
    Sun, Jul 24 2011 6:44 AM

I use them with Callaway spin balls

I rarely lower my spin much lower than off centre, if i want ti to stop dead.

Any lower spin than that and they begin to spin backwards once they land.. 

Sometimes its fun to spin them right back into the hole.

Depending on the ball your using, you will get more, or less spin.

leave the spin dot centre for straight play wih a little forward roll.. 

distance should be adjusted according to your wedges capacity  on the caddy meter.

adjust for wind, elevation of the pin, type of ball, lie.

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Sun, Jul 24 2011 6:45 AM

TurkishTerror:

I recently purchased some of the new Cleveland wedges.  Now I know when buying new clubs there is somewhat of this "adapting period" of a few days.  I have been playing with these wedges for over a week now and i can NOT figure these fu%&ers out. 

Im either too long, too short, too long, too short.  On one hole (cant remember), the wind was in my face 4mph, had a 25% lie, and distance was 83yrds.  Just practicing the shot I fealt like using a full 80 with no backspin to see what would happen.  The ball flew 20 ft. past the hole!  On other shots, I take some power off, I end up 20 short of the hole.  I cant find that "middle ground".  I am not going to sell these clubs or ever stop using them obviously, but am I the only retard here thats having problems with them?

These clubs are waaaaay different than any other wedge out there ( I know because I have owned them all).  I feel kinda stupid writing this post but mabye someone can help me out here.  I have a feeling Im just going to get "practice practice practice"!! hahaha

Thanks in advance for you help

TT

I gave them up and went back to the Satin's after 2 months. Not trying to take anything away from these wedges but they just did not fit my style of play. I like you could never find the middle ground and felt more comfortable with the Satin's.

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Sun, Jul 24 2011 7:30 AM

I couldn't get on with them either, I love my satins.

• mohuyu
    891 Posts
    Sun, Jul 24 2011 8:16 AM

The cleveland wedges have transformed my short game. It took a while to adjust but I'm glad I stuck with them. I find it much easier to execute downhill chips and pitches. The flops you can pull out with these wedges are absolutely epic. And the additional precision has helped me hole out a few more full wedges and punches.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Jul 24 2011 9:49 AM

I'm with Shrude and Mo. I use the spin ball too and if you're not careful about it you will be fighting it. The best way to use them is to learn how they work without the spin first. For instance, the CG80 backs up all by itself without spin. Wind affects them a lot more because of the loft. Plus, IMO, when you get more accuracy you get penalized more for missing the ding, especially when using spin. Definitely fun clubs when you get the hang of them.

• borntobesting
    9,680 Posts
    Sun, Jul 24 2011 10:15 AM

The best thing about the Cleveland wedges in my opinion is that they will work with any ball. I was playing a Blitz round Saturday afternoon using the tour GI-S ball knowing that it would not last the whole round( I am trying to get rid of all my odd balls) The last 2 holes were with the free ball and on the last hole of the blitz round which is or was # 18 @ St.Andrews and the 52 degree Cleveland even backed up the free ball.  

• gsoup
    2,929 Posts
    Sun, Jul 24 2011 10:20 AM

if you add a wee bit of topspin and hit a flat spot, that where the ball will stay

thats what i have noticed

-G

RSS