Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Fairway Bunkers

Thu, Jun 27 2024 4:29 AM (28 replies)
  • dcviolator
    14 Posts
    Tue, Nov 29 2022 5:46 PM

i use a punch shot with a longer club and hit the upper part of the ball.   it won't go 200 yards but it usually goes between 135 and 150.  

• Mightymousemv
    609 Posts
    Tue, Jul 4 2023 7:19 AM

Wholeheartedly agree with the unfair drop zones? Totally unrealistic. But I guess goes with who's away on a green. Supposed to be who is furthest away regardless of on the green or not, unless we are hacking and whacking for real on our muni:) why one can't hit a mid iron from a fairway bunker, only get 100+ yards of so ?? Penal as well. Yes I know lol just avoid them or take your medicine.

• BuckeyeJack5
    24 Posts
    Mon, Jun 24 2024 2:32 PM

I find it very inconsistent that WGT will allow you to bomb the ball 300+ yards off the tee, but not allow you to hit 150-175+ yards out of a fairway bunker. You see pros do this all the time, especially in this year’s PGA Championship and somewhat at the Masters as well.

WGT needs to fix this problem to increase the realism of the game.

• ScottHope
    10,209 Posts
    Mon, Jun 24 2024 11:44 PM

If your lie in a bunker is 20% or less I think you can use an iron / hybrid / 3 wood on it and get some good distance, provided the lip of the bunker is not too high and or you are not close to it.

• BuckeyeJack5
    24 Posts
    Tue, Jun 25 2024 4:18 PM

I have noticed that on Kiawah as well which has a lot of 20% lies, but that is about the only course with bunkers with 20% lie. Forget finding that on a course like Torrey Pines, which has the most problematic fairway bunkers IMO. If you drive into either fairway bunker on Torrey #10, forget about hitting the green on your second shot. You will have to hit a great approach to save par.

• Squatch031
    185 Posts
    Wed, Jun 26 2024 8:31 AM

Best advice....don't hit into the bunkers!

• BuckeyeJack5
    24 Posts
    Wed, Jun 26 2024 5:03 PM

That is obviously the best advice if WGT cannot or will not change the game to allow you to get some distance out of fairway bunkers. I still say that is a flaw in the game. I saw pros hitting long irons out of the bunkers at Valhalla and getting cloe to the greens. It should be possible to do so with a properly hit shot.

• petrieboy
    438 Posts
    Thu, Jun 27 2024 4:29 AM

i agree with you, they add movement to the player now  but wont fix the bunker problem. its a shame they add the wrong things to the game instead of fixing problems like the bunker issue.

RSS