Re: Just venting

rated by 0 users
Mon, May 6 2019 4:57 PM (24 replies)
  • LuckySkreet
    611 Posts
    Sun, May 5 2019 10:59 AM

Not a crime????    My ass....

18 U.S. Code § 1708.Theft or receipt of stolen mail

Whoever steals, takes, or abstracts, or by fraud or deception obtains, or attempts so to obtain, from or out of any mail, post office, or station thereof, letter box, mail receptacle, or any mail route or other authorized depository for mail matter, or from a letter or mail carrier, any letter, postal card, package, bag, or mail, or abstracts or removes from any such letter, package, bag, or mail, any article or thing contained therein, or secretes, embezzles, or destroys any such letter, postal card, package, bag, or mail, or any article or thing contained therein; or

Whoever steals, takes, or abstracts, or by fraud or deception obtains any letter, postal card, package, bag, or mail, or any article or thing contained therein which has been left for collection upon or adjacent to a collection box or other authorized depository of mail matter; or

Whoever buys, receives, or conceals, or unlawfully has in his possession, any letter, postal card, package, bag, or mail, or any article or thing contained therein, which has been so stolen, taken, embezzled, or abstracted, as herein described, knowing the same to have been stolen, taken, embezzled, or abstracted—

Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

Simply go to your local post office, or use this link....    https://ribbs.usps.gov/locators/find-is.cfm    

This is a "FEDERAL CRIME"................

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Sun, May 5 2019 1:52 PM

LOL, what "is a crime", and what they will prosecute are two different things...

None of you have spent much time in the court system(which is a good thing) obviously!

Kinda a no harm no foul attitude with these....

Three of you just spent more time on this than ANY Fed. prosecutor would! WELL, unless running for office!

OHHH, my banks etc call me because I insist on it, been the other route and have a lot to lose!

• santa084
    114 Posts
    Sun, May 5 2019 6:12 PM

bubbsboy:

santa084:

I just wanted to make sure the person doesn't live in my neighborhood. I asked the bank why they didn't call the police, she said because it happens all the time. Well that's because the bad guys are right in front of you and you just sent him on his way.

Yip. As per my posts I had a feeling that was the part you were venting on.

Until folks went their way discussing wether it was a crime or not.

Be well and yeah I find it strange they would do that after alerting you and finding out the person in front of them was committing or trying to commit fraud.

Thanks for all your feedback. It's been very enlightening. But just like the title of my post. Just venting. I am grateful for the bank calling me. I just wanted to see if I was crazy when they let him go. PS. The teller just destroyed the check. Case close.

• gonfission
    2,241 Posts
    Mon, May 6 2019 2:55 AM

fatdan:
    what they will prosecute are two different things...

A prosecutor or D.A., will never bring a case against anyone, unless, they KNOW they can win.

That is why so many deals are made before it ever hits the Judges desk. That, and if every criminal chose a trial by jury, the entire judicial system would fold in 3 days.

Think about the time it would take just for a speeding ticket to be adjudicated...

15 minutes at the least after called, that's only four per hour. The average time a judge spends behind the bench per day, is about 5 hours.

20 quick tickets per day, leaves nothing for the more serious crimes, that will take hours each day.

We're heading in that direction all to quickly... Don't tell the baddies about this though.

fatdan:
    None of you have spent much time in the court system

Au contraire, my good fellow. I have been adjudicated by a Superior court judge, as "Not responsible". I carry that with me everywhere I go.

Just in case, one never knows...

-----------------------<*{{{{{-(

• santa084
    114 Posts
    Mon, May 6 2019 4:57 PM

I tried to fight a speeding ticket once. I had to go to court 3 time, and still have not seen a judge yet. It was costing me over $5 in parking every time. I gave up. I paid the ticket

gonfission:

fatdan:
    what they will prosecute are two different things...

A prosecutor or D.A., will never bring a case against anyone, unless, they KNOW they can win.

That is why so many deals are made before it ever hits the Judges desk. That, and if every criminal chose a trial by jury, the entire judicial system would fold in 3 days.

Think about the time it would take just for a speeding ticket to be adjudicated...

15 minutes at the least after called, that's only four per hour. The average time a judge spends behind the bench per day, is about 5 hours.

20 quick tickets per day, leaves nothing for the more serious crimes, that will take hours each day.

We're heading in that direction all to quickly... Don't tell the baddies about this though.

fatdan:
    None of you have spent much time in the court system

Au contraire, my good fellow. I have been adjudicated by a Superior court judge, as "Not responsible". I carry that with me everywhere I go.

Just in case, one never knows...

-----------------------<*{{{{{-(

RSS