Forums

Help › Forums

Re: The Front 9 at Congressional

rated by 0 users
Mon, Oct 10 2011 6:10 AM (3 replies)
  • TheProfessorX
    41 Posts
    Sun, Oct 9 2011 9:40 AM

I want to eventually make the Master tier so I decided to camp out at Congressional for a while to improve my game. I havent really played the front 9 that much so I gave it a try for a ranked round and boy was it difficult, a lot harder than the back 9. I shot a plus 4 but I could have done better.  What I see I need to improve on is better placement on my approach shots.

What is the best way to play the front 9? Laying up definitely doesnt work but attacking the pin is very difficult.

The harder courses like Bethpage and Congressional definitely improve your game, from the first tee to the last putt all your shots must be precise. Im in no rush to make Master I do however want to see a gradual improvement in my game. Playing the harder courses will definitely pay off in the long run.

• SgtDoodles
    3,112 Posts
    Sun, Oct 9 2011 10:06 AM

On WGT, you need to grind out the golf too move up the ranks. You're a long away away from Master (67 average required), but you will get there if you keep at it.

As for tips on the front 9on CCC, a long-distance big stick is a must, along with straight shots. The rough will punish you.

Finally, as for Bethpage, it becomes fairly simple with long-distance irons. You tried Oakmont yet? There's a real tough course. Thanks to that course, I acquired my rather deadly short putting game ;-)

• TheProfessorX
    41 Posts
    Sun, Oct 9 2011 5:26 PM

Thanks for the advice.

I do get that it is going to take me a while to make Legend so I have got to play to harder courses so I can really tighten up my game.

I have indeed played Oakmont I probaly need to play that course more than I have done in the past.

I need to play more ranked round period.

• JaLaBar
    1,254 Posts
    Mon, Oct 10 2011 6:10 AM

Once I got longer, higher loft irons and learned how to play elevations, BPB (and Congress for that matter) became much easier.

Oakmont is long, but one of the easiest courses tee to green.  The nightmare begins once you get to the green.  My only recommendation when playing Oakmont is shoot for pins.

"Let's see... 10' putt, 12" above the hole, side of a cliff, tourney greens.  I need to turn around and hit this 2' backwards or it will run past the hole."

There are greens on Oakmont that defy physics ô¿ô

RSS