Re: What's The Best Way

rated by 0 users
Tue, Nov 15 2011 4:27 AM (9 replies)
  • Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Mon, Nov 14 2011 10:54 AM

In your opinion what is the best way to address the wind

1) move the aim arrow and ding the shot

2) off set the ding to the right or the left and leave the aim arrow where it is

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Mon, Nov 14 2011 11:09 AM

I always move the arrow. The only time I click to miss is on short putts.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Nov 14 2011 11:26 AM

Likewise, the way piz does it with a tiny difference-if you miss, make sure it's a  miss on the upwind side. I'm talking about just missing the ding accidentally.  This will tend to keep the ball on line as opposed to missing on the wrong side, in which case you're automatically hosed. 

Something you can try is to aim 1/2 of what you think and miss a tiny bit on purpose. Then try missing altogether to aim without moving the aimer. After some practice you'll get a feel for what you can get away with.

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Mon, Nov 14 2011 12:50 PM

I was just curious ( this is on your second shot to the green ) I have been missing the ding on the opposite side of the way the wind is blowing and it seems to work for me, it is the 1:00 and 2:00 wind that gets a little confusing. 

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Mon, Nov 14 2011 2:57 PM

Woodoworkery:

sir or madam; not your excellency 

• paulshack
    281 Posts
    Mon, Nov 14 2011 3:14 PM

i usualy put the marker to where i think it should be, then miss the ding to the side the wind is coming from - missing to the opposite side is a definite no-no

• DannyPhan
    1,013 Posts
    Mon, Nov 14 2011 4:11 PM

paulshack:

i usualy put the marker to where i think it should be, then miss the ding to the side the wind is coming from - missing to the opposite side is a definite no-no

The problem with that is when you get new clubs it won't work the same. IMHO ALWAYS move the aim-point for the wind and DING the shot.

• MadMP
    75 Posts
    Mon, Nov 14 2011 4:15 PM

Move the arrow and ding the shot. It's easier getting used to how far to move the arrow than trying to late hit or early hit. You also hope that the meter is working smoothly

• labordayk
    389 Posts
    Tue, Nov 15 2011 4:05 AM

Woodoworkery:

1) move the aim arrow and ding the shot

2) off set the ding to the right or the left and leave the aim arrow where it is

I do both, often at the same time, depending on the club, the strength of the wind (or amount of the break on putts), the shape of the fairway, and pin location.

In fact, when driving, I move the arrow way over one way, and miss the ding way over the other way, even with no wind on a straight fairway.

I do try to ding straight putts, though.  And straight wind to flat green iron and wedge shots.

I do both on both heavy wind approaches and heavy break putts.

I move the arrow and try to ding or slight miss against light wind.

I leave the arrow on the hole and try to miss in degrees on putts that break half a square or less.

And I always use the Zip Code, Plus 4 if possible.

• labordayk
    389 Posts
    Tue, Nov 15 2011 4:27 AM

YankeeJim:

make sure it's a  miss on the upwind side. I'm talking about just missing the ding accidentally. 

That's the Popeye shot, right?  Where you miss accidentally on purpose. ;)

RSS