Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Putter advice at L60

Thu, Jun 27 2024 8:37 AM (4 replies)
  • Maccam24
    8 Posts
    Sat, Jun 8 2024 3:26 PM

So I’ve passed 60 now and upgraded my irons and wedges.  The Ping L59s are great.

But, my putting is driving me nuts.  I know the equipment is not the whole story, but what advice do you guys have if I make an upgrade.   Potentially it would be going from the Starter to the Odyssey L59.  Seems like having the increment under 30 would help a lot, but I know some disagree.  Precision, forgiveness and balance would all improve a lot.  But is there something awesome available at a bit higher level?  Or any other reason not to make a change?

Thanks! 

(ETA….read the putter precision tests thread….wow, great info there!)

• BlackBogey
    350 Posts
    Mon, Jun 10 2024 7:29 AM

Just my opinion, and I'm not a good putter so take it for what it's worth.  

It can come down to whether you try to set the aimer and then hit the ding, or just leave the aimer relatively close to the hole and adjust your "aim" by intentionally missing the ding.  If you are the latter, you might benefit from a putter with higher balance/precision and lower forgiveness.

If it were me, and again only my opinion, I'd wait.  You are still at the point where Levels will fly by relatively quickly until you the upper 80s.  The L70 Titleist is regarded by many as the 3rd best putter in the game behind the L98 Titleist and L101 TM.  That's what I'd go for if I were you.  That will last you possibly forever, but at least until you reach the 98/101.

I've got both the L98 and L101 currently, and they do help with certain aspects, but until you learn to correctly read the subtle breaks and match speed to path no putter is going to be a magic wand.  Now they can help if you are aiming for ding and miss ever so slightly, or help with consistent distance control, but it still comes down to green reading.

• borntobesting
    9,642 Posts
    Mon, Jun 10 2024 10:31 AM

Maccam24:

So I’ve passed 60 now and upgraded my irons and wedges.  The Ping L59s are great.

But, my putting is driving me nuts.  I know the equipment is not the whole story, but what advice do you guys have if I make an upgrade.   Potentially it would be going from the Starter to the Odyssey L59.  Seems like having the increment under 30 would help a lot, but I know some disagree.  Precision, forgiveness and balance would all improve a lot.  But is there something awesome available at a bit higher level?  Or any other reason not to make a change?

Thanks! 

(ETA….read the putter precision tests thread….wow, great info there!)

The price and forgiveness of the level 59= Odyssey makes it a very good upgrade. Its forgiveness is as high as the top putter in the game at almost 1/3 the price. The only attribute that is low is balance and most of us don't even understand what balance does.,Unless you really want to wait I would buy it. I have even considered buying it and I have to 2 top putters in the game.

• Maccam24
    8 Posts
    Mon, Jun 10 2024 12:50 PM

Thanks guys.  The L70 Titleist does look like a great putter.   And the Odyssey L59 does seem like a good value for what you get.  I’ve reached one of those points where doing something different sounds really good…so I will probably make the change now.

As an aside though, it becomes apparent how you would accumulate a lot of used old clubs as you progress up the tiers.   Have you got a garage full of old clubs you will never use again?

• BlackBogey
    350 Posts
    Thu, Jun 27 2024 8:37 AM

Maccam24:

Thanks guys.  The L70 Titleist does look like a great putter.   And the Odyssey L59 does seem like a good value for what you get.  I’ve reached one of those points where doing something different sounds really good…so I will probably make the change now.

As an aside though, it becomes apparent how you would accumulate a lot of used old clubs as you progress up the tiers.   Have you got a garage full of old clubs you will never use again?

Realize this post is several weeks old now, but once you are confident you'll keep the new clubs you can sell the old ones back to the Pro Shop for 25% of original purchase price - not much, but better than them just sitting around collecting virtual dust.

RSS