Forums

Help › Forums

Re: low level club and ball advice

Wed, Jun 26 2024 6:26 PM (6 replies)
  • Mattescu
    5 Posts
    Fri, Jun 21 2024 7:33 AM

hi to everyone,i'm L44 and i've started recently to play the game and now that i'm starting to understand how it works i realized that starting clubs are quite trash, expecially wedges and irons. I'm a total free player, but i managed to accumulate some credits with videos and surveys. For  irons i read that is better to not invest credits until ping L59 so i'll wait. But for wedges particularly, and also for 3w and driver, what i should do? invest credits now or wait until master level ( and tees)? And for ball, are budget wgt ones ( with slow meter) worth the price? 

Thanks to everyone :)

• tramilleo
    1,871 Posts
    Sun, Jun 23 2024 12:55 PM

You are in a 225 member club surely someone in your CC can help you with this

• GreenLaser
    189 Posts
    Sun, Jun 23 2024 11:46 PM

Yeah, wait until L59 for irons.  

If you have the credits, get the L48 Mizuno 3-wood and use that as your driver until you actually need a long driver.  Or wait and get the L51 Callaway 3-wood and use that as your driver. The Mizuno is a great club, so you'd have a great dedicated 3-wood after you eventually upgrade your driver. Same goes for the L51 which is also very good.

The L55 TaylorMade driver is the one to get if you want to upgrade your driver by then.

The L50's MAXSpin wedges are worthy upgrades. Quick meter but inexpensive and very good. They're not as good as the L70's(&L80)Vokey wedges, so some players wait or upgrade again when the Vokeys become available. After you get a set of irons with a decent 3-iron, you can drop the hybrid and use three wedges (56°, 60°, & 64°).

For balls, 3.5 meter speed is when a slower meter really seems to help my play.  L1 Callaway ERC Soft (Slow Meter) balls worked pretty well for me. They're 300 credits. A lot of people like the L33 Callaways for 250 credits. I played the L43 Callaways quite a bit which are also 250 credits. Also played the less expensive L11 & L13 Srixons some. I played the WGT Distance Slow Meter balls quite a bit, but it only has 1.5 durability and that was noticeable. The WGT Spin Slow Meter has 2.0 durability, so you might want to give that one a try. 

• Mattescu
    5 Posts
    Mon, Jun 24 2024 7:04 AM

thanks a lot :)

• Mattescu
    5 Posts
    Mon, Jun 24 2024 7:09 AM

tramilleo:

You are in a 225 member club surely someone in your CC can help you with this

you are right two days ago i wasn't even in a country club, right now i'm starting to understand how this community ( and country clubs) works, so in the future i'll ask in my cc chat.

• GreenLaser
    189 Posts
    Tue, Jun 25 2024 4:25 PM

I see you already have a driver that's longer than the 3-woods I mentioned. Either of those 3-woods would still be very useful. Good for long second shots from the fairways, good for punch shots from the rough, and I punch with a 3-wood from the fairways sometimes if I think it will more accurately get me the distance I'm trying to hit the ball. Eventhough they're shorter than your current driver, you might still prefer them from the tee because of better forgiveness, meter, and precision.

• Mattescu
    5 Posts
    Wed, Jun 26 2024 6:26 PM

First of all thanks for the advices, by the way i planned to switch the driver to the one you suggested, since i believe it can be useful for a lot of time and i want to use the 10% rent offer ( 300cr discount is not bad)

Today i took the Mizuno on rent and i found it really impressive, so i purchased it and managed to nearly make my first u30 round on a 9 hole tournament ( 30 with an unlucky par at 9 for the 29). it is really intuitive, also on punches, and i bet it bring me at least to the late 80 effectively. Thanks a lot for the great advices, now i'll probably go for the driver and irons, and finally start to improve my wedges. Even if is quite difficult to approach with them due to lack of spin, around the green starter wedges are not THAT bad ( i'm working on lob, pitch and chip and i think it is the best aspect of my game right now).  Starter putter seems quite good, at least to me, so i'll probably wait some times before investing credits on it. 

I'll keep working on my game, because at the end of the day the player skillset is still the most important thing to improve. Cheers:))

RSS